Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Magomed's Family File $100 Million Dollar Suit at NYSAC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Magomed's Family File $100 Million Dollar Suit at NYSAC

The family of the brain-damaged boxer Magomed Abdusalamov has initiated court proceedings to file a lawsuit against the New York State Athletic Commission in the amount of $100 million, charging the state with disregard for his well-being following his November fight and not looking out for him when they had the chance, the boxer’s former promoter said on Friday.

The Russian heavyweight Abdusalamov was beaten severely in his Nov. 2 match with Mike Perez at Madison Square Garden, suffering a broken jaw and hand in losing a unanimous decision. Following the match, as he left the arena with just his handlers and went to a nearby hospital, he had emergency surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain and was put in a medically-induced coma where he remained for several weeks.
    [Click Here To Read More]

They obviously won't get that amount, but I do hope that they will get a great settlement.

Comment

Yep the NYSAC. Not his corner, who he told he felt something wrong with his face in the early rounds, but they told him it's nothing and threw him back in there.

Comment

Yeah, I remember he asked if his nose was broken after round 1 and if his face was swollen after round 5 or so. They could have been attempts to get his corner to stop the fight without him quitting. Everything is easier in hindsight, of course.

I didn't know he had a broken jaw and hand too.

I know Michael Watson won a case after his fight against Eubank. In that case, however, there was a breach of contact with no ambulence being there or something. I don't know if Magomed's family have a legitimate case, sadly.

Comment

The courts will look to make a statement so the family will likely get well over 10 million dollars.

Comment

I don't get how they can sue... It's horrible what has happened, but the dude is a fighter, these are the risks, and it's wasn't clear during the fight how hurt he was,, if it had been stopped in the 7th or 8th round, people would have been screaming that it was a bs stoppage

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              The courts will look to make a statement so the family will likely get well over 10 million dollars.
              I hope not.

If that happens, it's all over.

The ambulance chasers will kill the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                Yep the NYSAC. Not his corner, who he told he felt something wrong with his face in the early rounds, but they told him it's nothing and threw him back in there.
                Your post is wrong, but it made me realise that this event could have long term ramifications on when a referee should stop fights. Anyway I think boxing commissions have a responsibility to ensure a safe environment for the practitioners of the sport. Whilst they didn't stop the fight, a strong argument can be presented for their rules not providing sufficient protection. If a fighter is assessed to have a broken jaw, broken nose and a broken hand it can be argued that they're at fault for not having rules that would put an end to it regardless of the fighter's ( or his camp's) wishes.

Comment

It is a terrible situation, but sueing the NYSAC just isn't right in my opinion. I can remember Magomed telling his corner that something was wrong. Shouldn't they be held responsible for sending their fighter back out? It was a very competitive and violent fight, but it came to a point where you could see that he was not going to win. The trainers should know their fighter better than anyone else. They work with them all the time. They couldn't see something was wrong with their fighter??? If the family is successful, then every fighter and their family will start trying to sue the boxing commisions. It would be the downfall of the sport.

Comment

And just like that Boxing will become more regulated and wars will be prevented from happeing.

But hope mago family get all the help and assistance they need.

Comment

Working...
                    X