No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Alexander Gvozdyk Inks Promotional With Top Rank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Alexander Gvozdyk Inks Promotional With Top Rank

LAS VEGAS, NEV. -- It's Valentine's Day and for Top Rank that means glove is in the air! Boxing's premier promotional company announced the signing of yet another nonpareil 2012 Olympian -- light heavyweight bronze medalist ALEXANDER GVOZDYK of Ukraine. He will make his professional debut in the spring of 2014. Gvozdyk narrowly missed advancing to the gold medal round, losing a controversial 13-13 semifinal decision on countback to Adilbek Niyazymbetov of Kazakhstan.

[Click Here To Read More]

Great singing by Top Rank, another future world champ for them, and another great fighter to enter the roster of HBO.

Watch this WAR with one my fave amateur boxers, the iranian Ehsan "The Destroyer" Rouzbahani,

In this link, his world series of boxing record 9-0

https://www.wsb-oras.ch/website/boxe...?ID_prs=107741
    Last edited by Max Mad; 02-14-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Good signing by Top Rank I think hes going make some noise in the Light heavyweight devision hope he gets pushed fast

Comment

Originally posted by LomaUsykKlichko View Post
        Good signing by Top Rank I think hes going make some noise in the Light heavyweight devision hope he gets pushed fast
        As with the other recent LHW Olympian signings Beterbiev (with GYM) and Mekhontsev (TR) I suspect the plan is to cash in on the newly revitalised LHW division and probably to do it fairly quickly. The success of Kovalev has opened some eyes as to the potential of these guys and TR and GYM are looking to emulate his achievements.

Beterbiev has fought 4 times in the last 7 months (including a solid journeyman in Rayco Saunders), Mekhontsev debuted in early december and fights again next W/E in Macao. I suspect Gvozdyk will also be moved along at a fair pace - I would expect to see all three fight at least 4 or 5 times this year and to be fighting guys in the top 30 by late 2015 or 2016 (assuming no setbacks).

Had Kovalev had the backing of a significant promoter he could probably have been fighting at championship level within 10 - 15 fights instead of the 20 or so it took him. Arum and GYM are looking to make money off these guys and won't wait around longer than they have to IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          As with the other recent LHW Olympian signings Beterbiev (with GYM) and Mekhontsev (TR) I suspect the plan is to cash in on the newly revitalised LHW division and probably to do it fairly quickly. The success of Kovalev has opened some eyes as to the potential of these guys and TR and GYM are looking to emulate his achievements.

Beterbiev has fought 4 times in the last 7 months (including a solid journeyman in Rayco Saunders), Mekhontsev debuted in early december and fights again next W/E in Macao. I suspect Gvozdyk will also be moved along at a fair pace - I would expect to see all three fight at least 4 or 5 times this year and to be fighting guys in the top 30 by late 2015 or 2016 (assuming no setbacks).

Had Kovalev had the backing of a significant promoter he could probably have been fighting at championship level within 10 - 15 fights instead of the 20 or so it took him. Arum and GYM are looking to make money off these guys and won't wait around longer than they have to IMO.
          What do you mean? That division is pretty weak.
          They could probably be near the top within a few years....unless somebody new comes out from the rubbish.

All the title holders (except the WBA's) are damn good. The rest of the division...not so much

Comment

Great signing, this guy is an excellent fighter, and some might say he is already 9-0 in the pros after his undefeated World Series of Boxing run. He will definitely make some noise in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
              What do you mean? That division is pretty weak.
              They could probably be near the top within a few years....unless somebody new comes out from the rubbish.

All the title holders (except the WBA's) are damn good. The rest of the division...not so much
              That was kinda what I meant. The emergence of Kovalev and Stevenson has generated a major buzz in what had become a fairly stale division. Whoever wins in their matchup will be considered one of the stars of the sport, and hopefully a major draw.

A talented newcomer should be able to climb the ranks quickly and hopefully benfit from the excitement around the Dynamic duo - every rising star at 175 will be 'the next Stevenson' or 'the next Kovalev' (and Beterbievs history with Krusher won't make him hard to hype)

Furthermore with names like Dawson, Pascal, Bute even Cloud (however shot they may be) there are big fights to be made at the top of the division. There's also the likelihood of at least a couple of the fighters currently at SMW being in the picture too - Ward probably, but also some of the smaller names (La Bomba almost for sure).

If these guys are pushed quickly they could be in range of these fights within 2 or 3 years. It's hard to say what the LHW landscape will look like in 2016 or 17, but Kovalev should still be around, Bhop be gone, Stevenson close to retirement, Pascal doing not much but still filling the Bell center etc.

In that kind of environment I could see any or all of these guys making a splash and generating a lot of excitement relatively quickly. Beterbiev with GYM and their exceptional LHW stable has a real chance to get big fights and exposure, and of course with the 3 names coming up at the same time (barring any upsets) there could be big potential match ups with each other.

Comment

Working...
              X