No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Macklin Moves Forward With Decision Win Over Russ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Macklin Moves Forward With Decision Win Over Russ

Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City - In the opening bout of HBO's televised triple header, middleweight contender Mathew Macklin (30-5) handed the inexperienced Lamar Russ (14-1) his first professional loss. The fight was basically a game of cat and mouse with Macklin playing the cat to Russ' mouse. Russ had a few moments late in the fight but for the most part refused to le his hands go.

[Click Here To Read More]

I thought Lamar put up a great fight; way better than this story makes it sound. I had the scores a lot closer than announced. Seemed to me the young up-and-comer gave the veteran Macklin a good run for his money over 10 rounds. Though I might be a little biased, since Lamar Russ fights out of my home state, North Carolina.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City - In the opening bout of HBO's televised triple header, middleweight contender Mathew Macklin (30-5) handed the inexperienced Lamar Russ (14-1) his first professional loss. The fight was basically a game of cat and mouse with Macklin playing the cat to Russ' mouse. Russ had a few moments late in the fight but for the most part refused to le his hands go.

[Click Here To Read More]
      Always good to see the cat get the mouse. I was on Tom's side back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by GAR1680-Boxing View Post
        I thought Lamar put up a great fight; way better than this story makes it sound. I had the scores a lot closer than announced. Seemed to me the young up-and-comer gave the veteran Macklin a good run for his money over 10 rounds. Though I might be a little biased, since Lamar Russ fights out of my home state, North Carolina.
        I thought it was actually a near shutout for Macklin.

However, I did think that Russ did well. He threw some good punches, and he held defense well to Macklin's big punches. But it's hard for me to find more than maybe a round or two that he won in this one when you compare Macklin's work to his round by round.

In any case, I think Russ showed that he's a legitimate fighter at 160lbs today. I doubt Willie Nelson would've done better (I didn't expect Nelson to do well vs Macklin, bc Nelson didn't fight well on his back foot in his last fight).

Comment

Maybe it was just because he's lanky, but it looked like every solid punch that landed on Russ snapped his head around.

Comment

Good workmanlike performance by Macklin.

Comment

Working...
            X