No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jamie McDonnell Reacts To IBF's Decision To Strip Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jamie McDonnell Reacts To IBF's Decision To Strip Him

Further to recent press and social media comment I feel compelled to make this statement.

On May 11 2013, I won the IBF Bantamweight title against Julio Ceja, winning a World Title was a life changing moment and every boxers dream.

I am a professional fighter and rely on my earnings from boxing to pay my mortgage and bills.

Despite being fit, willing and able to fight at all times, under the management and promotional guidance of Dennis Hobson I have only had 3 fights in 2 years and I have only had one fight in the last 12 months, without even a warm up contest to keep me active.

I was very concerned about this and was in touch with Dennis Hobson, my then manager, for him to arrange fights for me. Finally on September 19 I had a meeting with him at which two offers were put to me, one involving me fighting on BoxNation and the other on Sky Sports. I made it clear to Dennis Hobson that I wanted to fight on Sky Sports.
    [Click Here To Read More]

The IBF are a bunch of fking clowns, this is terrible but sadly unsurprising. Hope Jamie gets this sorted, he seems like a really nice guy and it sounds like he's been shafted by everybody concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by fladz View Post
      The IBF are a bunch of fking clowns, this is terrible but sadly unsurprising. Hope Jamie gets this sorted, he seems like a really nice guy and it sounds like he's been shafted by everybody concerned.
      More like his managers fault

Comment

sounds like they dont have good communication, shame really as ceja was a tough contender and malinga in comparisson is much easier, in truth malinga nor hall are good enough to be fighting for the title so I dont know how theyve figured that out.

Comment

Certain other boxers are allowed to sit on their titles for as long as they want......

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
            More like his managers fault
            That's how it reads, which in turn is on his own shoulders.

Originally posted by TGD View Post
            Certain other boxers are allowed to sit on their titles for as long as they want......
            To be fair the IBF are more strict than most BUT they did let a proven steroid cheat Lamont Peterson keep his title after the Khan fight.

Comment

What a raw ****ing deal. Damn.

However, the fighter should have known he had a mandatory with six months. You spend your whole life trying to be champion, you'd think he'd have read into the rules a bit.

To be fair the IBF are more strict than most BUT they did let a proven steroid cheat Lamont Peterson keep his title after the Khan fight.[/QUOTE]

Only because they stuck tightly to their rules.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                What a raw ****ing deal. Damn.

However, the fighter should have known he had a mandatory with six months. You spend your whole life trying to be champion, you'd think he'd have read into the rules a bit.
                Other than actually fighting McDonnell I don't think McDonnell knows much about the sport at all.

“I don’t know anything about Anselmo Moreno (WBA champion) or Shinsuke Yamanaka (WBC champion),” laughed McDonnell. “I’m not a boxing fan, so I don’t sit down and study the opposition. I just go in there and do what I do and leave the game plan to my trainers.”
                .................................................. ......
                “I took Jamie to a WBC convention in Las Vegas,” said the Sheffield based promoter. “There were scores of ex-world champions, the likes of Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns and Mike Tyson.

“Anyway Sugar Ray Leonard walked in with some people and I told Jamie to get a picture with him and he didn’t know what one it was. He turned to me and asked if Leonard was any good in his day.

“He has never studied the history of the sport but in the ring he just has a great boxing brain and he’s gifted.”
                Only because they stuck tightly to their rules.
                Which were?

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post
                  Which were?
                  He didn't fail the drug test for the fight. Believe me, I am no Peterson fan or defender, but I understand the IBF's position. He wasn't over the legal testosterone limit either, he was just a ****ing moron all around. Their position was that he passed the test so they weren't going to strip him.

Comment

Working...
                  X