No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Marcos Maidana Continues To Wow The Fans With Action

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Marcos Maidana Continues To Wow The Fans With Action

By Jake Donovan - Marcos Maidana travels to Southern California for a high-profile main event. Down on the scorecards, the visiting Argentine claws back and scores a dramatic 6th round knockout to erase a deficit and emerge victorious in a surefire Fight of the Year contender, leaving the local fighter dejected and seriously pondering his future.

If the tale sounds familiar, it’s because history repeated itself for the former 140 lb. titlist. Nearly four years after scoring a shocking 6th round stoppage of Victor Ortiz in downtown Los Angeles, Maidana managed to halt Josesito Lopez in as many rounds in their Showtime-televised main event Saturday evening at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

Maidana trailed on two of the three official scorecards at the time of the stoppage, dropping Lopez in round six before battering him along the ropes to end the fight in the very same round.

In a loaded boxing weekend, many tabbed the Showtime main event as boasting the greatest potential for a Fight of the Year entrant. Maidana and Lopez delivered on that front, going directly at each other from the opening bell. Lopez, whose best win is his own come-from-behind win over Ortiz nearly a year ago, sought a quicker start in this particular bout rather than relying on dramatics. [Click Here To Read More]

Maidana is the kind of fighter who brings new fans to boxing. anyone who saw this match will want more. These guys should get better promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish View Post
      Maidana is the kind of fighter who brings new fans to boxing. anyone who saw this match will want more. These guys should get better promotion.
      It's a shame guys like Maidana and Lopez, because of their losses and the nature of boxing, aren't at the forefront of the sport. We'd attract far more casual fans.

Comment

Madiana said in the interview (I don't remember if it was translated) that the punch that hurt him landed on a bone of his hip.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish View Post
          Definitely. The emphasis on being undefeated and so on is totally wrong. It's all about styles. I think we're getting a lot more of the right match-ups this year though. It's been a great six months.

Comment

Great win for Maidana,I picked Lopez to win the fight but Maidana really impressed me tonight..Hope he get's a big fight for a belt soon..Great night of fights yesterday..

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
              Definitely. The emphasis on being undefeated and so on is totally wrong. It's all about styles. I think we're getting a lot more of the right match-ups this year though. It's been a great six months.
              This has been one of the best yrs in boxing in recent memory tbh..Every fight that makes since is being made..Bradley vs Marquez Floyd vs Alvarez Garcia vs Matt's(I hope)..We've already had Alvarez vs Trout Donaire vs Rigo Peterson vs Matt's big time fights being made..That's what was missing from previous yrs in the sport..Now we're seeing good match ups as well like,Alvarado vs Rios 2 Bradley Prov Maidana Lopez Mares Ponce..This yr the list goes on and on..Great yr of boxing,best in recent memory imho..

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                If you're going to take on the biggest challenges and fight the best then, with the odd exception, you're generally going to pick up losses along the way. The margins can be so fine. People make such a big deal about the "0". We're seeing some very good match ups this year. Someone is going to lose, but they should be respected for taking on the fights.

Comment

I don't think a Maidana/Mattysse fight is necessarily all that important, but it would be great to see Marcos in more high profile matchups now. Looks like Robt Garcia is doing a great job improving him, and although he probably won't beat the slick boxers, there are plenty more fights he'd do well in.

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
                    If you're going to take on the biggest challenges and fight the best then, with the odd exception, you're generally going to pick up losses along the way. The margins can be so fine. People make such a big deal about the "0". We're seeing some very good match ups this year. Someone is going to lose, but they should be respected for taking on the fights.
                    so true! because of that undefeated record means big money, boxers must be careful with the opponent picking. I can't see how this could be changed

maybe a point system would be helpful to rate the fighters, similar to the boxrec points. where a loss against a highly rated boxer wouldn't be a big point loss, but a win in this situation would be a big point gain. so It would be a good business for the boxer to choose these matches. and the boxer with the highest points at the end of the year would get a highly regarded title or a belt (and these points would be reseted next year). OK, I know this is kinda science fiction

Comment

Working...
                    X