No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Amateurs Getting Prepared For The New AIBA Rules

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Amateurs Getting Prepared For The New AIBA Rules

NEW DELHI: Indian boxing has been in news for all the wrong reasons since the conclusion of the London Games -- from the ban on the federation to Beijing Olympics bronze medallist Vijender Singh finding himself in the midst of drug abuse allegations.

However, with a number of tournaments lined up this year, chief coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu believes it is time to look ahead with hope.

"The bad times are over. It's time for the sport to get back to normalcy and move towards positivity from here on," Sandhu, who will accompany the Indian team to Cyprus, told TOI on Monday.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Stupid

Comment

Amateur boxing has lost all creditability since the south Korean games in which Roy Jones Jr. got robbed. Each change, every year since to save it, has actually sunk it to a newer low. They need to trash the whole thing and go back thirty years to when it had value. They cant fix the mess with new changes, they need to start over with the original concept.

Comment

I'm just glad that they changed the scoring system. I just don't why they would lose the headgear. That's just stupid. Amateur fighters are fighting more regularly than professional prize fighters. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them will end up having serious injuries before getting into professional boxing. It will make the transition from amateur to professional a little easier but not everyone wants to be professional.

Comment

Man, are you serious! Get rid of the headgear... thats stupid! An active amateur with 200-300 bouts without headgear would be braindead before the pros.. and amateurs are not practically getting paid for that..

Comment

ya i could understand doing it for maybe the olympics and world championbships but would make more sense to just do it every 4 years. it just seems a bit desperate. all though most these fighters do the world series of boxing league or whatever already which has no head gear ya its gonna be better for the fans but thats not what matters

Comment

Originally posted by Jelisei View Post
              Man, are you serious! Get rid of the headgear... thats stupid! An active amateur with 200-300 bouts without headgear would be braindead before the pros.. and amateurs are not practically getting paid for that..
              lol no they wouldn't, the AMs during the Golden Era didn't use headgear pretty often. The headgear they did use only protected the ears. Headgear doesn't prevent head trauma, it prevents CUTS and things. You still get your brain rattled.

Comment

And i fight out of Philly

Head gear doesn't prevent brain damage in the least, and it makes the head a bigger target. I prefer working wo head gear.

Comment

Im just worried about the accidental head butts. You have to fight several times in order to win a big event most times. A cut on the first day from a clash of heads, and you are screwed.

Comment

lol you can get some nasty cuts before you even start fighting pro. thats no good.

Comment

Working...
                    X