No announcement yet.

The 15 Greatest Heavyweights of All Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 15 Greatest Heavyweights of All Time

It's always tough to compare athletes from different generations. But generally, I believe sports, like the athletes themselves, are constantly evolving - and therefore better NOW than THEN. Boxing may be the one notable exception to that, mainly because fighters of the past simply FOUGHT MORE. I'd be hard pressed to name a single top fighter today with a hundred or more pro fights. Fifty years ago there were many, and for this reason, I think it's fair to compare a former champion like Dempsey to a modern one like Riddick Bowe. In a sport like football on the other hand, such a comparison would be ridiculous. I always find it so when sports writers call Jim Brown the "greatest running back of all time". Amazing as he was, Jim was a modern day physical specimen playing against smaller, slower athletes. In other words, he never saw anything like LT, and if he had, his numbers would have been much less impressive. Period.. [details]

Sonny Liston doesn't belong anywhere on an all time great list. He proved to be a heartless coward the second things got tough in the ring.

Comment

Yes, he does that is ridulous he was a beaten man in the first Ali fight and he was considered to be "invincible" at one point in time but he does belong above Foreman.

Comment

If all these fighters were to fight eachother, who do you think would win the most.

I hate Lennox Lewis as a fighter because he was so caustious, especially against David Tua, but I really think that he could go 14-0 against this competition.

No that is not saying that LL is the best heavyweight of all time, because if McCall could KO him, any of the other 14 guys could too, but LL can win a lot of rounds against these generally, considerably smaller guys.

Now, if every boxer was born in 1975 and had access to the training methods and nutrition of today, it would be a completely different story. But then again, if they were born in 1975, they may have found football or basketbally to be more lucrative and never stepped into the ring.

But by that standard, I really don't know who I would go with.

Comment

Dempsey is overrated.

I would hardly describe a champion who defended his title 5 times over 7 years as "dominant".

Comment

Originally posted by tri4ben2
            If all these fighters were to fight eachother, who do you think would win the most.

I hate Lennox Lewis as a fighter because he was so caustious, especially against David Tua, but I really think that he could go 14-0 against this competition.

No that is not saying that LL is the best heavyweight of all time, because if McCall could KO him, any of the other 14 guys could too, but LL can win a lot of rounds against these generally, considerably smaller guys.

Now, if every boxer was born in 1975 and had access to the training methods and nutrition of today, it would be a completely different story. But then again, if they were born in 1975, they may have found football or basketbally to be more lucrative and never stepped into the ring.

But by that standard, I really don't know who I would go with.
            14-0 for Lewis??!! Against the likes of prime Foreman or Ali? Come on, man! He couldn't even dispose of an old Holyfield effectively or convicingly!

Comment

I believe Lewis(Lennox) is a little overrated. He has dominated in a time where there are no good heavyweight boxers. He's a good fighter, no doubt, but I think people give him more credit than he deserves. This includes Lewis himself, who seems to think he's ranked in the top 3 boxers of all time.

Comment

I don't even know why I am responding to this, but Lewis beat Holy both times although Holy was in the fight.

Lennox was too big for Ali and could have jabbed his way to a victory.

Prime Foreman was a bully and Lewis was big and strong enough to keep him away, although I would not be surprised if Foreman got a 2-3 round knockout.

There is quite a bit of parity among these top 15 fighters. I don't think one clearly stands out.

Comment

lewis is cautious, and it works for him... though he has great boxing skills, i'd say ali is still the greatest ever...

Comment

Originally posted by tri4ben2
                    I don't even know why I am responding to this, but Lewis beat Holy both times although Holy was in the fight.

Lennox was too big for Ali and could have jabbed his way to a victory.

Prime Foreman was a bully and Lewis was big and strong enough to keep him away, although I would not be surprised if Foreman got a 2-3 round knockout.

There is quite a bit of parity among these top 15 fighters. I don't think one clearly stands out.
                    A prime Ali would frustrate lewis and knock his part british, part jamaican, and part canadian ass. Why dont you people realize the greatness of Ali, he always found a way. his size, his strength, his skills didnt matter; the will to win was too great. He shut the world up when he was fighting and now that he is quiet people are beginning to talk again that he wasn't that...good. Please give him the respect he deserves. Lewis is great fighter but still not a match for Muhammad Ali. everyone who still thinks that lewis would be a good match for Ali please think again; look at ali's career, watch it closely, realize that the years of his prime were taken away but he still ruled, took on the best and beat the best. No heavyweight that came after Ali was ever as good as he was, the ones that came before him would be upsetted by him. he was truly invincible.

Comment

Working...
                    X