Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Standing Eight Count: What The Heck are Jones and Hopkins Thinking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Standing Eight Count: What The Heck are Jones and Hopkins Thinking?

As if it wasn’t bad enough that I have had to suffer through watching Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins make losing the norm in their later years, it has now come to my attention that the two former greats plan on fighting each other on March 11. I guess the good news is that of them has to win. For the life of me I can’t come up with one positive thing to say about this fight. It makes no sense on any level.

The two first met back in May of 1993 for the vacant IBF Middleweight title. That night, Roy Jones won a fairly easy decision over “The Executioner”. At the time the fight was very meaningful because two young and talented up and coming fighters were facing each other - a novel concept to say the least.

Ever since their first meetin, both men have gone on to secure greatness and reserve their spot in boxing’s coveted hall of fame. Before I go into my incoherent ramblings, understand that I have a great deal of respect for the talents of these two warriors. I think that my high level of respect for both men is partly why I’m so offended by this affair. [details]

With a fight between to big names like this, you'd think I'd want to see it. I DO NOT want to see this fight. I really like both fighters. It's not so much that I can't pick which of the two I'd like to see win, it's that I don't want to see either of them lose. The guy that loses this fight is going to get **** on by everyone. The guy that loses this fight will fall victim to the mob mentality of the average sports fan, and will have their name and reputation destroyed by pundits that have nothing better to do than live vicariously through these athletes, and tear them down when they disappoint. It's not that I believe it's fair to judge their entire career based on their last fights. I really don't believe that. To me, both of these guys are both hall of fame, and nothing can or will happen to change that. I just don't want to read endless posts online, and hear endless talk on sports radio, about how this is further proof that neither of these guys were ever any good. If this fight were happening before both of these fighters began their losing streaks, I'd be all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Menace
      With a fight between to big names like this, you'd think I'd want to see it. I DO NOT want to see this fight. I really like both fighters. It's not so much that I can't pick which of the two I'd like to see win, it's that I don't want to see either of them lose. The guy that loses this fight is going to get **** on by everyone. The guy that loses this fight will fall victim to the mob mentality of the average sports fan, and will have their name and reputation destroyed by pundits that have nothing better to do than live vicariously through these athletes, and tear them down when they disappoint. It's not that I believe it's fair to judge their entire career based on their last fights. I really don't believe that. To me, both of these guys are both hall of fame, and nothing can or will happen to change that. I just don't want to read endless posts online, and hear endless talk on sports radio, about how this is further proof that neither of these guys were ever any good. If this fight were happening before both of these fighters began their losing streaks, I'd be all for it.
      your right they both are head to the hall of fame

Comment

It is a meaningless fight and hopefully the last for both men maybe it will end in a draw....LOL I think Roy will come ito this fight not scared for the first time in a while and show us he has somethiong left in the tank he is almost 4 years younger and look how good Hopkins was at that age but he was confident and not gun shy like Roy has been since being brutally KOed twice.

Comment

Of course, this fight happens now...when both guys (especially Jones) are shadows of their former selves. Of course it didn't happen 4-5 years ago, when it would have truly meant something.

Off of their recent fights, this fight has the potential to rival any John Ruiz fight for action, or lack thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff
            Of course, this fight happens now...when both guys (especially Jones) are shadows of their former selves. Of course it didn't happen 4-5 years ago, when it would have truly meant something.

Off of their recent fights, this fight has the potential to rival any John Ruiz fight for action, or lack thereof.

It is too bad HBO wont tell these boys thanks but no thanks.

It is not like Hopkins and Jones have given them countless ring memories and mega fight after mega fight...these are fighters who ****ed the network with fights like Glenn Kelly, Carl Daniels, Clinton Woods and Morrade Hakkar just to name a few.

HBO owes both of these men nothing!

Comment

this fight isnt meaningless....they are boxing because they both love the sport...they are both great...they both want a final fight...i couldnt think of a better fight to promote..i think it is great...it is going to be better than watching gatti fight that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarciano
                this fight isnt meaningless....they are boxing because they both love the sport...they are both great...they both want a final fight...i couldnt think of a better fight to promote..i think it is great...it is going to be better than watching gatti fight that is for sure.

Rocky this is just a bad post a very bad post!

Great they are fighting cuz they love the sport-who gives a ****.

Great they are both great-who gives a ****.

You cant think of a better fight to promote-you stupid ****.

The fact that this fight is happening now is ridiculous and it further proves that both men are in this sport not for the legacy or glory or the fans but the money...if Jones never loses to Tarver or Johnson and Hopkins never loses to Jermain the chances of this fight hapopening are ZERO-this fight is all about two shot fighters who are gonna try and milk the public 1 final time.

Do me a favor and post less.

Comment

Originally posted by scap
                  Rocky this is just a bad post a very bad post!

Great they are fighting cuz they love the sport-who gives a ****.

Great they are both great-who gives a ****.

You cant think of a better fight to promote-you stupid ****.

The fact that this fight is happening now is ridiculous and it further proves that both men are in this sport not for the legacy or glory or the fans but the money...if Jones never loses to Tarver or Johnson and Hopkins never loses to Jermain the chances of this fight hapopening are ZERO-this fight is all about two shot fighters who are gonna try and milk the public 1 final time.

Do me a favor and post less.
                  Now thats a good post right you are my man.

Comment

Originally posted by scap
                    if Jones never loses to Tarver or Johnson and Hopkins never loses to Jermain the chances of this fight hapopening are ZERO-this fight is all about two shot fighters who are gonna try and milk the public 1 final time.
                    I second that!.

Comment

Working...
                    X