No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Video: Virgil Hunter on Mayfield's Win, Training Khan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Video: Virgil Hunter on Mayfield's Win, Training Khan

Bill Emes catches up with trainer Virgil Hunter to discuss hi Karim Mayfield's win over Mauricio Herrera, training Amir Khan and how the process is going. [Click Here To Read More]

Great interview. I'm warming to Virgil Hunter massively and think he's a brilliant choice by Khan (and one I had hoped for). He'll cut the crap out of training, no more sparring wars, and drill the basic defensive techniques that were essentially missing.

Roach knows his stuff, but you have to listen to him and do what he says, and when you don't he just shrugs his shoulders and carries on. Those days are over, Hunter will rattle cages if unwise training occurs. It is exactly what Khan needs as there were so many glaring bad habits that were obvious in the pre-Garcia build up, easily fixable issues. Roach just wasn't the kind of disciplinarian required to force those adjustments; IMHO Virgil Hunter is.

As for the "old dog new tricks" metaphor; Khan is 25. He's not old. That might apply to Eric Morales or Manny Pacquiao, but it is a silly comment in the case of Khan.

BTW I love the interviews. Always good questions and plenty of time for the subject to answer. (Much better than e.g. the ESNEWS equivalent.) Thanks for posting them.
    Last edited by charlieg; 10-28-2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X