Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Toney: Heavyweight Menace or Mercenary?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Toney: Heavyweight Menace or Mercenary?

James “Lights Out” Toney has now fought four times as a heavyweight and while many seem to think he’s a possible future heavyweight champ, some people just can’t seem to envision the idea of Toney as the undisputed heavyweight champion.

Is James Toney’s pursuit of heavyweight superstardom a serious menacing threat to the heavyweight division or simply an exercise in futility and plain old denial of one’s physical limitations in the division? Or is he just a heavyweight mercenary out for the money?

James Nathaniel Toney was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan on August 24, 1968. Currently he is fighting out of Sherman Oaks, California. Toney (69-4-2, 43 KOs) has captured titles as a middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and cruiserweight. He is a former IBF middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight champion.

Toney won the WBA heavyweight belt from John Ruiz via unanimous decision in April of 2005, but after Toney failed a post-fight doping test and the steroid Nandrolone was found in his system, the fight was ruled a no-contest and the belt returned to Ruiz. He currently wears the IBA heavyweight belt, a lightly regarded bauble in the increasingly putrid pond of alphabet organizations.

As an amateur, Toney compiled a record of 31 wins, 2 losses and 29 of those wins by KO. At the tender age of 20, Toney decided to turn pro. After racking up a professional record of 25-0-1 with 18 KOs, Toney challenged Michael Nunn for his IBF middleweight title in May of 1991. In a fight where Toney was behind on the scorecards, he made a miraculous comeback by stopping Nunn in the eleventh round and capturing his first major title. That very same year, Toney was named Ring magazine’s Fighter of the Year. [details]

as long as he doesnt fight wlad, i can only see Brock and maybe brewster winning

Comment

Give Me Karma Rick!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Reeno
        James “Lights Out” Toney has now fought four times as a heavyweight and while many seem to think he’s a possible future heavyweight champ, some people just can’t seem to envision the idea of Toney as the undisputed heavyweight champion.

Is James Toney’s pursuit of heavyweight superstardom a serious menacing threat to the heavyweight division or simply an exercise in futility and plain old denial of one’s physical limitations in the division? Or is he just a heavyweight mercenary out for the money?

James Nathaniel Toney was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan on August 24, 1968. Currently he is fighting out of Sherman Oaks, California. Toney (69-4-2, 43 KOs) has captured titles as a middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and cruiserweight. He is a former IBF middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight champion.

Toney won the WBA heavyweight belt from John Ruiz via unanimous decision in April of 2005, but after Toney failed a post-fight doping test and the steroid Nandrolone was found in his system, the fight was ruled a no-contest and the belt returned to Ruiz. He currently wears the IBA heavyweight belt, a lightly regarded bauble in the increasingly putrid pond of alphabet organizations.

As an amateur, Toney compiled a record of 31 wins, 2 losses and 29 of those wins by KO. At the tender age of 20, Toney decided to turn pro. After racking up a professional record of 25-0-1 with 18 KOs, Toney challenged Michael Nunn for his IBF middleweight title in May of 1991. In a fight where Toney was behind on the scorecards, he made a miraculous comeback by stopping Nunn in the eleventh round and capturing his first major title. That very same year, Toney was named Ring magazine’s Fighter of the Year. [details]

WHAT WHAT!?!?!?

Reppin The Deuce baby 734 mother****ers what???

Toney is my favorite ever besides Whitaker, I've been saying since I first arrived here and ever since his Jirov win that he'd be HW champ one day. I think he's in a pretty damned good position to fulfill that.

Comment

Toney is ta best heavyweight right now. Stylisticly, I wanna see Toney fight Brewster. Toney would show errrbody how to stop an aggressive force of Brewster, in an easy fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Manny_P
            Toney is ta best heavyweight right now. Stylisticly, I wanna see Toney fight Brewster. Toney would show errrbody how to stop an aggressive force of Brewster, in an easy fashion.

are u really leaving if pac loses to morales?

Comment

"Toney has to fight a rematch against Ruiz—and pass the post-fight dope test—to set this entire ordeal straight in the minds of the fans. Many will never believe that he fairly beat Ruiz until a rematch is fought and he beats Ruiz again. Ruiz may not even be fighting in two years, much less still hold the title; and who knows where Toney will stand in the sport in two years."

anyone who thinks ruiz can beat toney, wheter he is roiding or not, is a complete assclown
              i dont think he needs to set anything straight against ruiz, its not like he ko'd him with his new strength, he dominated him through and through

Comment

Working...
              X