No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Yuriorkis Gamboa Hires Emanuel Steward as New Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Yuriorkis Gamboa Hires Emanuel Steward as New Trainer

Hall of Fame coach and living legend Emanuel Steward is the new head coach of fast rising Cuban superstar Yuriorkis "El Ciclon“ Gamboa. Promoter Ahmet Oner sealed the deal with Steward at the WBO convention in Puerto Rico on Wednesday. Gamboa had split up with his former amateur coach Ismael Salas after his most recent win over former world champion Daniel Ponce de Leon on September 10th in Atlantic City. Steward has worked with some of the greatest fighters of all times including „Hitman“ Tommy Hearns, Oscar de la Hoya, Julio Cesar Chavez and Lennox Lewis, only to name a few. Currently Steward is training world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.

[Click Here To Read More]

This will be interesting. Everybody claims Steward is an overrated trainer. But to me, Gamboa is way more skilled than Cotto and Taylor are. And if he is more dedicated, then I expect this partnership to work out.

Comment

I hope this works out for Emanuel Steward because Yuriorkis Gamboa is a monster.

Comment

Now let's see if Gamboa's jab gets even better...

Comment

big mistake.... manny's not strict enough with these young guys.... gamboa needs someone like floyd senior who will bust his balls....

we all saw what joan guzman was like when he was with floyd, always made weight.... and we all know what happened once he left floyd..... plus senior can correct some of the fundamental mistakes in gamboa's arsenal...

Comment

Damn it..Emmanuel is about to ruin another fighter...Gamboa is about to become lame like Chad did..lo

Comment

Originally posted by boxingsmash69 View Post
              Now let's see if Gamboa's jab gets even better...
              Thats what I was going to say. Curious to see how this turns out for Gamboa.

Comment

Did Manny knew this was going to happen all along?

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what to think of this pairing, but I had been thinking that it was time for Yuri and Ismael Salas to part ways. It's clear I wasn't alone. At least with Steward Gamboa is in the hands of someone with tremendous experience in the pro game. Good luck to both Yuriorkis and Ismael.

Comment

On the fence about this one. I don't like gamboa switching trainers too much this will be his third in a year or two. He should probably stick with a spanish speaking trainer unless he understands english perfectly well.

Comment

Working...
                    X