No announcement yet.

The Post-Tyson State of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Post-Tyson State of Boxing

Now that Mike Tyson has lost convincingly to Danny Williams, a heretofore little-known British heavyweight who would have been mere cannon fodder for Tyson in his heyday, what happens next? I donšt mean for Tyson, who should permanently retire, but for the sport of boxing? [details]

Right now I just want Mike to be in a movie so he could make money and leave the sport of boxing alone.

Comment

Tyson`s shot anyhow. And besides, he was champion for three years and he did dominate but what did he dominate? Trevor Berbick! Plinklon Thomas? Lewis and Holyfield fought every body and usually got the best of their opponents ( Holyfield up until losing to Lewis ).
      Tyson had his shot at both these guys and was knocked out. The two dominate heavyweights over the past 15 yrs have been Holyfield and Lewis. Larry Holmes dominated the first half of the eighties, Tyson the second half. But the quality of competition that Tyson faced was the worse ever. Holmes fought Shavers, Norton, Ali, Micheal Spinks, Cooney and Cobb. Holyfield fought Douglas, Foreman, Holmes, Bowe, Tyson, Moorer, Lewis, Rahman, Mercer...i could move on to Lewis but i think you have all got the picture here. Trevor Berbick was 36 yrs old and never that good. Bonecrusher smith had 5 losses in 25 fights when he fought Tyson. Pinklon Thomas was fresh out of rehab and Tony Tubbs looked more like a elephant than a challenger for the hevyweight title. The only decent fighters Tyson fought in his title reign were Larry Holmes ( 38yrs old ), Tony Tucker ( rising contender with IBF belt ) and Micheal Spinks who was really a lightheavyweight. Based on this, how can anyone compare Tyson`s achievements to those of Holyfield and Lewis? You can`t, they were a different league. Tyson was the most exciting heavyweight of all time but thats where it ends. Tyson doesn`t make my top ten heavyweights, maybe top 15 but he didn`t beat anyone special and he never won a match when the opponent hit him back consistantly. hardly a legend, hardly a great heavyweight really. More of a bully who when hit....lost!!

Comment

Working...
      X