No announcement yet.

Jimmy Young: How He Exposed 'The Greatest'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Young: How He Exposed 'The Greatest'

The 1976 heavyweight title bout between champion Muhammad Ali (50-2) and challenger Jimmy Young (17-4-2) is most remembered for the decision rendered by the referee and two judges scoring the fight. Ali won a 15-round unanimous decision over Young to retain his undisputed heavyweight title. Saying Ali's decision victory over Young is controversial is an understatement. Young forced the champ to fight the type of fight that he was least effective fighting. There were times during the 15 rounds that Ali more resembled a fish out of water flopping on the beach than he did "The Greatest." [details]

Honestly, I think it's stupid to say that anyone in the tail end of their career was "exposed." Honestly, now, I can see saying Ali got a gift decision or whatnot (Note: I've never seen the fight), but to say the guy was "exposed" during the last 9 fight's is pretty outrageous, especially considering he had 61 fights. In his 52nd pro fight, at the tender age of 34, Ali was finally "exposed." Give me a break. The guy was old, and was not the same Ali we saw back during the Fraizer fights, or the Foreman fight, or the Liston fights, or the Patterson fight, etc, etc.

That's almost as bad as saying Holmes expose Ali. Yeah.. sure he did.

Comment

in a rematch, ali would have destroyed young, and thats whats important
      everyone has bad days

Comment

To say that Muhammad Ali was exposed by Jimmy Young is stupid. Put Jimmy Young against Muhammad Ali when he fought Cleveland Williams and its gonna be "lights out" for Jimmy Young. That's the truth! You have to also take into account the bruising battles between Ali and Frazier especially the third one. Fights like that take thier toll on a fighter. Jimy Young did not expose Muhammad Ali nor did he expose George Foreman who had totally lost it after losing to Muhammad Ali. Put Young in the ring with Foreman when he defeated Norton then you would see what would happen to Young and its not gonnae be a pretty sight.

Comment

Originally posted by stinglikeabee
          To say that Muhammad Ali was exposed by Jimmy Young is stupid. Put Jimmy Young against Muhammad Ali when he fought Cleveland Williams and its gonna be "lights out" for Jimmy Young. That's the truth! You have to also take into account the bruising battles between Ali and Frazier especially the third one. Fights like that take thier toll on a fighter. Jimy Young did not expose Muhammad Ali nor did he expose George Foreman who had totally lost it after losing to Muhammad Ali. Put Young in the ring with Foreman when he defeated Norton then you would see what would happen to Young and its not gonnae be a pretty sight.
          This guy has a thing against a lot of fighters. He hates Roy, and also seems to have something against Ali, as well. I don't like him. I think he's lacking some certain things, and is far too biased in his writings. If I were Rick, I wouldn't have even posted this, to save face for my site. What a bunch of bull****.

If you want to say Ali was technically flawed, go ahead and say it, I doubt there are a whole lot that would disagree and say he was a technically sound fighter, but Young did not "expose" a thirty-four year old, end of the road, Muhammad Ali.

Comment

I think unsuccesful boxers hate the ones like ali and jones, who did not even need to learn the basics, to be on top of the world for 10 years

anyway, if these crappy articles will get young in the hall of fame they will have served a good purpose

Comment

I personally know Frank Lotierzo. You guys are wrong. He rates Ali as the # 1 heavyweight of all time and that is how he voted in the IBRO (International Boxing Research Organization) poll.

Frank's point is this, no other fight demonstrated Ali's lack of fundamentals more than his bout with Jimmy Young. He needed body punching in this fight but never went to the body in his entire career, other than an occassional jab. Ali didn't know how to fight as an aggresso, he was a fighter that took apart fighters as they came to him. In this fight Ali was forced to fight as the aggressor because of Young's pure defensive style. This is not too hard to see. This doesn't mean Ali wasn't great. He was, it just means he wasnt a fundamental fighter. That is the point fo the article. despite this flaw, Ali was still the greatest in Frank's eyes. He loves Ali. he is his favorite all time heavyweight. But unlike some fans he is objective.

Maybe the article is just over the head of some readers. Its an advanced read.

Comment

Very good read, but not as good as the Tom Donelson piece about Rahman power.

Comment

Originally posted by IBRO_Man
                  I personally know Frank Lotierzo. You guys are wrong. He rates Ali as the # 1 heavyweight of all time and that is how he voted in the IBRO (International Boxing Research Organization) poll.

Frank's point is this, no other fight demonstrated Ali's lack of fundamentals more than his bout with Jimmy Young. He needed body punching in this fight but never went to the body in his entire career, other than an occassional jab. Ali didn't know how to fight as an aggresso, he was a fighter that took apart fighters as they came to him. In this fight Ali was forced to fight as the aggressor because of Young's pure defensive style. This is not too hard to see. This doesn't mean Ali wasn't great. He was, it just means he wasnt a fundamental fighter. That is the point fo the article. despite this flaw, Ali was still the greatest in Frank's eyes. He loves Ali. he is his favorite all time heavyweight. But unlike some fans he is objective.

Maybe the article is just over the head of some readers. Its an advanced read.
                  Advanced read, pff. Don't try to come in here and act all smug about something. The point is that you can't "expose" an aging Ali. No, he wasn't the most technically sound fighter, but that's been known, and I don't think it took Young to show this.

Maybe he was tested more against Young, because he was an old man and had to change his styles, but I think it's pretty clear that his fundamentals were never like those of Joe Louis'. It's a stupid way to say what he means. You can't "expose" an old man.

Comment

ya cant Ali ever get a break ?? he fought some of the most amazing, brutal, violent, heroic fights in history and was the finest heavy ever. So why at the tail end of his career does he have to worry about looking like he did ?? Frank Lotierzo is a solid writer though. "The Greatest Gifts of All" is one of my favorites.
                    Last edited by DuncanJL; 10-25-2005, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X