No announcement yet.

Tarver Didn't Forget, How To Beat Jones In Rubber Match

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarver Didn't Forget, How To Beat Jones In Rubber Match

Tarver's victory over Jones tonight is as big of win as his stunning knockout was in their rematch, and in time may prove to be even more significant. Had they never fought again, when ever the two fights between them would be discussed, you'd hear, "yeah, but it was an old Roy Jones that Tarver knocked out."

My problem with that is, nobody was saying it before the fight, were they? In fact Jones was coming off of the best showing of his career against John Ruiz and was an 8-1 favorite in the rematch. All of the sudden losing 18 pounds is a career ending proposition if it's Roy Jones. Yet, other past greats like Archie Moore and Roberto Duran lost twice that much late in their career, and they were fighting opponents 10 years their junior, not the same age. [details]

Dumbest article ever written! Tarver is big for a lt heavy? How is he big? I've seen kittens with bigger pecs than that pin headed girl! And every great fighter has had a nemesis that gives them trouble, how is roy any different? Tarver has a crappy 25-3 record at 37 years old. Other than Roy who the hell does he have to his credit that is worth a damn? Nobody!

Comment

you say it the best frank.

yea...the "old roy,is he washed up"got old before this fight.tarvers gotten hit and beat down more then roy in his career.

tarver deserves more respect.

i hope roy don't pull a tyson and make comebacks every 10-11 months.

lets see if roy starts slurring more when he get in front of the cameras on hbo.
      Last edited by STEELHEAD; 10-02-2005, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Bs Bs Bs

more Bull**** from Lotierzo, who is easily the most biased professional writer on this website:

"...other past greats like Archie Moore and Roberto Duran lost twice that much late in their career, and they were fighting opponents 10 years their junior, not the same age."

1) Roberto Duran lost 36 pounds of muscle from one fight to another. find me a fluctuation of 18 pounds, let alone 36, between to consecutive fights' weigh-in and I will be happy.

2) Archie Moore, almost true except for the extremely complicated math involved: "twice as much" of 18, happens to be 36, not 18 or 20.

and he was fighting younger opponents, true.

So what? Moore style, and Tarver's too did not rely on reflexes so heavily as Jones'.
        No one thinks that jones at 35+ is a great fighter.
        No one thought that Ali at 35+ was a great fighter.
        (note I don't think jones and ali are on the same level, but I use the same logic as the author)
        Moore at 35+ was a great fighter. Tarver at 35+ is a good fighter, teh best in his division. Oh and by the way those 27 pro fights and 27 camps make their age quite different. All points which mysteriously go unnoticed in this article.

and then comes the bit on the hopkins fight
        He was heavier than hopkins OK
        in fact he was 175 by fight night OK
        does that makes him a natural light heavy? no cause a natural light heavy weighs at least 185 by fight night, with today's training techniques and weigh in rules.

This guy knows a lot of facts about boxing, the problem is that the logic connecting it is heavily flawed.
        Last edited by wmute; 10-02-2005, 01:15 AM. Reason: did not notice an error in the original article

Comment

Working...
        X