No announcement yet.

BoxingScene Exclusive, Renaldo Snipes Interview

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoxingScene Exclusive, Renaldo Snipes Interview

First ever interview with one of the Top Heavyweight contenders of the 1980's

Renaldo “Mr. Snipes” is best known for his only heavyweight title fight, which took place on November 6, 1981 against the great Larry Holmes. Coming into the fight, both fighters were undefeated and Holmes was in his prime against the younger Snipes. In the 7th round, Snipes knocked Holmes down with a tremendous straight right hand to the chin. Larry was able to get up from the punch and tumbled into the ropes. Lucky for Holmes he recovered well and Snipes was not able to finish him. The fight was stopped in the 11th round when Holmes had Snipes in trouble and the referee Rudy Ortega stopped the fight. There were some that viewed it as a controversial stoppage because it seemed premature. The stoppage was booed by the packed Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA. Renaldo never got another title shot and ended his career in 1993 with an excellent record of 39-8 with 22 big wins by knockout. Here are some excerpts from a very long conversation BoxingScene had with “Mr. Snipes”.

BoxingScene.com: Hello Renaldo, how are you doing? What have you been up to in the last few years?

Snipes: I’ve been working with a lot of young adults and children. I’ve been trying to help them change their quality of life. Basically doing the same things I’ve been doing but now im getting paid for it (laughs).

BoxingScene.com: How did you get started into boxing?

Snipes: My father introduced me to boxing. He was an excellent boxer in the army. Boxing got instantly in my blood and it totally changed me. It made me a well-disciplined young man and I learned to take care and respect my body. [details]

Snipes seems very honest about the boxing game. The interviewer

asked good questions

Comment

Working...
    X