Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Era of Excellence: Tradition forced to make way for the New

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Era of Excellence: Tradition forced to make way for the New

It’s not a changing of the guard or a passing of the torch scenario, but basic economics.

In a time of financial uncertainty around the globe, the historic lightweight division has fallen into a recession of talent and relevance.

During the same time frame, the oft underappreciated junior welterweight division – just five pounds north – is brimming with prominent names and the personal economy of its resident fighters is flourishing. [Click Here To Read More]

140 is wicked right now. Pac is gone and said as much, so no need to mention him in the JWW mix anymore. Bradley is running the show, but is lacking willing opponents. I'd love to see a unification series here like the MW's had when Hopkins took over. Moves need to be made to bridge the HBO-Showtime gap. I think Bradley beats any of them if the fights can be made.

Comment

I think this would not last for long though. Many of the 140lbs are again eyeing the WW division and toying with the idea of a big payday with pac or pbf. I do hope they stay at 140 though. Not all of them have skills that will carry them 7 pounds north. And both Pbf/Pac will not stay active for long.

Comment

Originally posted by tesla_power View Post
        I think this would not last for long though. Many of the 140lbs are again eyeing the WW division and toying with the idea of a big payday with pac or pbf. I do hope they stay at 140 though. Not all of them have skills that will carry them 7 pounds north. And both Pbf/Pac will not stay active for long.
        That is what happens when there is a superstar within reach of the weights, fighters stay longer on idle waiting to see if they get the opportunity instead of earning it. Stars are good but hampers the competitive matches when you have no choice but to fight each other.

Not to long ago ppl were in idle for Floyd, once he retired we had all these competitive matches at WW. Now is a combination of Floyd and Pac, you can also include some of the 154 lbs that are willing to come down and fight if given the opportunity

Comment

Great article! I agree...the jr WW division has been hot lately and nobody is talking about the 130 or 135 lbs divisions. I think its just a matter of time before Katsidis moves up to 140 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde Barrow View Post
            140 is wicked right now. Pac is gone and said as much, so no need to mention him in the JWW mix anymore. Bradley is running the show, but is lacking willing opponents. I'd love to see a unification series here like the MW's had when Hopkins took over. Moves need to be made to bridge the HBO-Showtime gap. I think Bradley beats any of them if the fights can be made.
            Not true. He and his useless advisor Micheal Koncz stated that they plan to look at their options at 140 after the Clottey fight. Meaning should he lose to Joshua, there is a chance he'd defend at 140. If he wins he vacates. So there's a 95% chance he vacates and leaves Bradley as the top dog looking for Amir Khan or Ricky Hatton to get in the ring with him to create the next champion. Great division regardless. Also the paper titles mean nothing and Timothy Bradley understands that better than anybody. Telling the WBC to fuck off when they made him chose between them and the WBO days after he beat Kendall Holt.

Comment

Working...
            X