No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene’s 2009 Year End Awards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BoxingScene’s 2009 Year End Awards

By Jake Donovan/Cliff Rold - Sometimes the big awards are the easiest. 2009 was such a case. The Fighter of the Year - Manny Pacquiao - and the Fight of the Year - Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz - were the sort of things one was pretty sure about the moment they became clear.

Heading into his Welterweight clash with Miguel Cotto, the consensus was that a clear winner in the bout would provide a clear Fighter of the Year.

It did.

Marquez-Diaz looked like a strong favorite for most of the year, but got a late rush of candidates to take the top slot. All fell just short.

What then of the rest of the year’s landscape? The following note some of the outstanding accomplishments, moments, and achievements of 2009. [Click Here To Read More]

what's floyd award this year? I think cheater of the year could fit for him. LOL

Comment

floyd's award? boxing's sprinter of the year, he can beat isain bolt anytime when he see's a punch coming! That's why he envies Manny so much, he just can't believe him fighting like a true warrior in the ring while he's so scared about getting hit even probably by Malignaggi! rofl

Comment

They should give also awards to mayweather he might be jealous and hated again to manny pacquioa. The award winner for floyd should be coward and run away trophy. LOL

Comment

Dunne - Cordoba for the WBA Bantamweight title was better than JMM Diaz.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Gomez View Post
            Dunne - Cordoba for the WBA Bantamweight title was better than JMM Diaz.
            I forgot about Dunne-Cordova -great fight!

Comment

I'm a Pacquiao fan to the core but im getting a little sick of the Mayweather bashing. Sure, hes a wanker that only wants money but to question his boxing skills is stupid. He is (in my humble opinion) the best defensive fighter of all time, second to none. If you've got the skills to avoid punches then why not? If you can hit without being hit then isn't that the name of the game?? Watch slowed down footage of Mayweather/Marquez, the fighters at some points are boxing with their leading legs crossed and Marquez (a very accurate puncher) still cant touch Floyd.
              Diss the man, not the skills.

Comment

Forgotten KO

While I agree that Pacquiao over Hatton deserves the KO of the year, one that seems to be forgotten on all of these "KO of the Year" lists is Afolabi-Maccarinelli. Possibly not that many of us here in the US saw that one, since it was on the undercard of a PPV featuring Khan-Barrera. Still, it was spectacular. After rope-a-doping Maccarinelli for almost nine rounds, Mac was tired, dropped his hands, and Afolabi landed with a hellacious, flush shot that put Mac completely out.

Comment

The Taylor "right hand while laying on his back" comment was in bad taste.

Comment

Dunne-Cordoba was most definitely the FOTY. Diaz-Marquez wasn't even top 3. Ortiz-Maidana was better, and so was Martinez-Williams, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X