No announcement yet.

Paul McCloskey: Ireland’s New Champ Wants Amir Khan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul McCloskey: Ireland’s New Champ Wants Amir Khan

By Leonard Gunning - Unbeaten Irish fighter Paul McCloskey took his record to 20-0 with 10 wins inside the distance by cantering past Spain’s Daniel Rasilla in nine rounds to claim the vacant European light welterweight title in front of an ecstatic 3,000 strong home crowd at the Meadowbank Arena in Magherafelt, Northern Ireland. [details]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    By Leonard Gunning - Unbeaten Irish fighter Paul McCloskey took his record to 20-0 with 10 wins inside the distance by cantering past Spain’s Daniel Rasilla in nine rounds to claim the vacant European light welterweight title in front of an ecstatic 3,000 strong home crowd at the Meadowbank Arena in Magherafelt, Northern Ireland. [details]
    Actually, McClosky is British, since Northern Ireland has been part pof Britain for at least 400 years, and even since Norman times in the 12th century.

Most of the good Irish boxers come from the North, and therefore are British. In Eire, that is the Republic of Ireland, historically, until comparatively recently, there was almost no professional boxing in the Republic. The National Stadium, where they hold so many pro fights these days, was a srtictly amateur enterprise and no pros were allowed. I grew up in our home on the opposite side from the Stadium and one block away.

For the very occasional, very infrequent 4th grade pro fights, they would be held at Ringsend, in the buas station, or one of the professional soccer parks, I think at Dalymount or on an occasion or two, in the Theatre Royal, Dublin, the largest theatre in the country.

Comment

Well done paul i say! classy little boxer, about his nationality he can chose whatever he wants being from northern ireland, boxrec has him down as british although.

Comment

Good performance of Paul and glad he won

doubt he is on Khans radar,

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
          Actually, McClosky is British, since Northern Ireland has been part pof Britain for at least 400 years, and even since Norman times in the 12th century.

Most of the good Irish boxers come from the North, and therefore are British. In Eire, that is the Republic of Ireland, historically, until comparatively recently, there was almost no professional boxing in the Republic. The National Stadium, where they hold so many pro fights these days, was a srtictly amateur enterprise and no pros were allowed. I grew up in our home on the opposite side from the Stadium and one block away.

For the very occasional, very infrequent 4th grade pro fights, they would be held at Ringsend, in the buas station, or one of the professional soccer parks, I think at Dalymount or on an occasion or two, in the Theatre Royal, Dublin, the largest theatre in the country.

A. His name is McCloskey not McClosky. B. McCloskey is ethnically Irish - unless of course the British element within the north have started playing for the GAA team in Duingiven. C. McCloskey is legally Irish - actually I think if you read the "Good Friday Argeement" those from the north and entitled to both Irish and British citizenship, this is recognised by both governments and internationally so your information is a decade out of date. D. "most good Irish boxers are from the North" - I think Steve Collins, Bernard Dunne and Barry McGuigan would be interested in debating that opinion with you.

Obviously you have been out of Ireland for too long and lost touch! Interesting to hear that the stadium was "one block away" from you - did you have to cross the "sidewalk" to get there? whilst eating "candy"? and throwing the wrappers in the "garbage"?

Comment

Originally posted by barry big balz View Post
            Well done paul i say! classy little boxer, about his nationality he can chose whatever he wants being from northern ireland, boxrec has him down as british although.
            Yeah, BoxRec has all fighters (with the exception of Duddy - which they only changed recently - the "Ireland's John Duddy" bit was a giveaway if you ask me) down as "British" including Eamonn Magee, Martin Rogan and Damaen Kelly who all wear the colours of the Irish tricolour into the ring - another dead giveaway if you ask me!

Comment

Please enlighten me that most of the good irish boxers come from the north???
              mcloskey is irish,as irish as they come and I doubt he'd be happy with you calling him british

Comment

Originally posted by slapbangwhallop View Post
                Yeah, BoxRec has all fighters (with the exception of Duddy - which they only changed recently - the "Ireland's John Duddy" bit was a giveaway if you ask me) down as "British" including Eamonn Magee, Martin Rogan and Damaen Kelly who all wear the colours of the Irish tricolour into the ring - another dead giveaway if you ask me!
                Well john duddy was never going to settle with being called a british fighter when his uncle was shot in the back by the britsh.... anyways to make my point some fighters from the north dont mind being called british thats all im saying! its easy to change your status on boxrec to avoid confusion if you really wanted....

Comment

Originally posted by barry big balz View Post
                  Well john duddy was never going to settle with being called a british fighter when his uncle was shot in the back by the britsh.... anyways to make my point some fighters from the north dont mind being called british thats all im saying! its easy to change your status on boxrec to avoid confusion if you really wanted....
                  Actually its not that easy to have your nationality changed on BoxRec - not easy at all - and there was a battle for over a year to get that changed - even when Team Duddy informed BoxRec that John held an Irish passport they still wouldnt change his nationality. Ask Boxrec how they determine the nationality of each boxers and they wont give you straight answer - believe me I have tried.

As far as I am aware Duddy is the only boxer from the north that they dont list as British. As you are from Donegal I am sure you are aware that boxer is a sort with a higher participation rate by nationalists who consider themselves Irish is would be naive to consider that they wouldnt mind being referred to as British.

Granted you are right many boxers from Northern Ireland wouldnt mind being referred to as being British - Neil Sinclair, John Lowey and new prospect Carl Frampton spring immediately to mind - that doesnt mean that we dont support them, well do! but also it doesnt mean that all boxers from the north wouldnt mind being referred to as British - and McCloskey is one of those - former British title holder? Yes! British? No!

We all know its a sensitive issue so now that that is straightened out let talk about boxing.

Is McCloskey to reliant on his heavy countering left hook to the body and will his loose guard get him into trouble when he steps up in class.

Comment

Originally posted by slapbangwhallop View Post
                    Actually its not that easy to have your nationality changed on BoxRec - not easy at all - and there was a battle for over a year to get that changed - even when Team Duddy informed BoxRec that John held an Irish passport they still wouldnt change his nationality. Ask Boxrec how they determine the nationality of each boxers and they wont give you straight answer - believe me I have tried.

As far as I am aware Duddy is the only boxer from the north that they dont list as British. As you are from Donegal I am sure you are aware that boxer is a sort with a higher participation rate by nationalists who consider themselves Irish is would be naive to consider that they wouldnt mind being referred to as British.

Granted you are right many boxers from Northern Ireland wouldnt mind being referred to as being British - Neil Sinclair, John Lowey and new prospect Carl Frampton spring immediately to mind - that doesnt mean that we dont support them, well do! but also it doesnt mean that all boxers from the north wouldnt mind being referred to as British - and McCloskey is one of those - former British title holder? Yes! British? No!

We all know its a sensitive issue so now that that is straightened out let talk about boxing.

Is McCloskey to reliant on his heavy countering left hook to the body and will his loose guard get him into trouble when he steps up in class.
                    Paul mccloskey is one of the better boxers from this island of ours but bloody hell is he in one tough division at the moment! . his money punch is his left to the body and his guard is a lot to be desired... . so he wants amir khan me personally i dont think he can slip amirs punches with that head movement defence of his.... amir would be much to fast for him. a few more defences in style might get him noticed by the big boys!

Comment

Working...
                    X