Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words': At Last, Vergil Ortiz Is Back on the Verge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words': At Last, Vergil Ortiz Is Back on the Verge

There was a time that Vergil Ortiz Jr. was going to be next. Those days feel like they weren't too long ago - and also feel like forever ago. On Saturday, Ortiz's chance to be next, again, is at hand.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BoxingUpdates; 04-27-2024, 06:50 PM.

Ortiz v Dulorme at 2-4-1? What does he gain here? It doesnt look like a challenge on paper. And no matter how he handles him, it won't give an accurate gauge of where he is physically.

Maybe it's just for confidence or to build hype with undiscerning viewers. But going back to a guy with 2-4-1 doesn't seem like the most strategic move he could make, even if he needs confidence.

No offense to Dulorme, but it's a big jump from him to Tszyu.
    landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

Dulorme is not a 154 fighter, has a weak chin thus the 4 KO, and Ortiz still needs a catch weight... Seriously?
      BustedKnuckles BustedKnuckles likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedKnuckles View Post
        Ortiz v Dulorme at 2-4-1? What does he gain here? It doesnt look like a challenge on paper. And no matter how he handles him, it won't give an accurate gauge of where he is physically.

Maybe it's just for confidence or to build hype with undiscerning viewers. But going back to a guy with 2-4-1 doesn't seem like the most strategic move he could make, even if he needs confidence.

No offense to Dulorme, but it's a big jump from him to Tszyu.
        Ortiz needs to continue to shake some rust off. Dulorme should be good for that.

Nothing wrong with it as long as Tim Tszyu is next.

Comment

Ortiz is a really good fighter. Lots of talent and power. I just think his medical issues will keep him from achieving a lot of what he's capable of. He hasn't fought in a while and why some people think he's gonna take a tune-up and beat someone like Tszyu is dumb. Tszyu is a really good fighter who only lost to Fundora because of that horrible cut and his corner not being prepared. Tszyu handled Fundora easily the first 2 round until that massive cut.
          landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

Dulorme is a "safe" choice. The team is not going to do anything to jeopardize the compensation that comes with the Tszyu scrap if it happens.

Comment

Seriously bad move from Golden Boy lining up Tszyu next. People shouldn’t be reading too much into his loss to Fundora. Can’t think of any other 154 lb’er that would’ve lasted that long against him looking through a wall of blood. Seriously underrated. Don’t expect Ortiz to last much beyond the middle rounds. His power isn’t going to remotely phase Tzsyu coming up from 147.

Comment

I want to see Tim in with some young lions. Virgil is moving up with medical questions, and Tszyu has yet to impress outside of Oz, so it kind of evens out. I'm not sure Ortiz can beat the Tower at this point, but Tim getting smacked around, cut or not, isn't helping his chances.

Comment

Originally posted by steeve steel View Post
                  Dulorme is not a 154 fighter, has a weak chin thus the 4 KO, and Ortiz still needs a catch weight... Seriously?
                  Everything you just typed just screams to me Ortiz is not ready. I know nothing about this disease he fought, but it sounds like he needs time to fully be healthy and work back into world class shape. If his team cares about him at all, they will keep him far and away from a pissed off Tszyu coming off a loss with something to prove. Give the man a chance. I realize he has lost time, but health comes first.

Comment

Vergil is going for it, good! He can't be babied now. Too much time has passed. Swim or sink, let's find out.

Comment

Working...
                    X