Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: What Lies Beneath: Don't Overlook The Value Of A Good Undercard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: What Lies Beneath: Don't Overlook The Value Of A Good Undercard

For me, it wasn't a main event. It was a co-feature, a bout atop a pay-per-view undercard, that made me fall in love with boxing.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Love this article! It's funny, as a teenager and well into my twenties, I bought almost every ppv by myself. Skateboard friends weren't so into it lol But they were events with lots of impact on the boxing world and even if a fight was a dud, it meant something.

Now I buy maybe 1 a year with much more idle cash on hand than years ago. I may be wrong, but to me it traces directly back to when fighters started making silly money for meh fights. You cant pay for anything after the cash cow is paid and its ruined boxing.

There are still a few good cards a year. I enjoyed the Tyszu and the Aj vs Wallin cards, but they seem few and far between. I cant imagine wtf they are thinking with the haney/Garcia crap coming up.
    4truth 4truth likes this.

Comment

Unfortunately, quality undercards are almost a thing of the past. Only the Saudis present good undercards any more. The standard garbage is to showcase name fighters in predictable mismatches.

Comment

So no one remembers ODH cards, it was the 90s I guess lol.

Ryan garcia has mentioned the price of boxing tickets.
        ​​​

Comment

I'm sure boxing promoters got mountains of evidence that suggests a dope undercard isn't worth it financially often enough for them to become standard in boxing.

The main event sells the card & the undercard is just a time burn to most ppl who buy a PPV. I'd obviously be cool seeing more dope undercards, but if the math doesn't math it is what it is.
          crimsonfalcon07 crimsonfalcon07 likes this.

Comment

- When I go to a live boxing event, I always get there early to watch all of the undercard bouts.
            - Many times, there are young, up and coming fighters who give it their all in a 4-round match, and it's worth watching.
            - Regarding PPS (Pay-Per-Screw), I can't see why anyone would shell out $$ when you get an Amazon Fire Stick for $35 and watch for free, or even watch the highlights on YouTube the same night or the next day......

Comment

It’s true. Sometimes the best fights are on the undercard. It actually happens a lot tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary G. View Post
                - When I go to a live boxing event, I always get there early to watch all of the undercard bouts.
                - Many times, there are young, up and coming fighters who give it their all in a 4-round match, and it's worth watching.
                - Regarding PPS (Pay-Per-Screw), I can't see why anyone would shell out $$ when you get an Amazon Fire Stick for $35 and watch for free, or even watch the highlights on YouTube the same night or the next day......
                Part of why I don't watch UFC live any more. Every one I've bought has been plagued with ridiculous streaming issues. I've had 3 now that were so bad that they had to refund me, but it was a waste of time. And since they're all free on ESPN+ a few weeks later, there's no point paying IMO, since I'm not betting.

Comment

Little dumbass me in 2002, knowing nothing of boxing after the early 1990s (when it all mostly went to cable), bought my first ever PPV in Lewis-Tyson and expected them to be slugging it out as soon as I switched the TV on. "Achh, who's this Filipino midget? Got no time for this", and went back to my AOL chatrooms for the rest of the night.

That midget was Pacquiao.

Comment

Working...
                  X