Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nicolson Tells Serrano To Fight Or Vacate The Belts After Vegas Victory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nicolson Tells Serrano To Fight Or Vacate The Belts After Vegas Victory

Newly crowned WBC featherweight champion Skye Nicolson (10-0, 1 KO) has called to face Amanda Serrano and challenge for the unified world featherweight titles following the Australian's successful title tilt against Sarah Mahfoud (14-2, 3 KOs) at the Fontainebleau in Las Vegas. Nicolson dominated Mahfoud over 10 rounds to claim a comfortable points decision win with scorecards of 100-90, 100-90, and 99-91. The victory over Mahfoud saw Nicolson collect the first major title of her career. Speaking to Matchroom Boxing's in-house media team, Nicolson agreed with the scoring judge that her performance was a "complete shutout."
    [Click Here To Read More]

I liked the way Skye was smiling throughout her fight with Mahfoud. It didn't seem derisive or taunting. She genuinely seemed to be having fun.

Comment

Serrano no longer has the fire to fight after the Katie Taylor bag.
      Roj Roj likes this.

Comment

She's one of the most technically skilled of the younger women coming up. Doesn't seem to have much power, although it's hard to tell when they only get 2 minutes to work.

Comment

but muh a-side doe? If Sky wants 12 X 3 it could happen but Serrano is calling the shots being the 2nd most famous female fighter in the world. If Sky doesn't like it she can fight pole dancers for next to no money on untelevised events.
          real raw real raw likes this.

Comment

Serrano historically doesn't defend her titles much. She's more likely to chase another belt in another division.

She's won 11 major belts in 7 weight classes but she's made a combined total of only 9 defenses.
            Last edited by famicommander; 04-07-2024, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I'm of two minds about the 3x12 thing. One way that I look at it is , that there is rarely going to be a knockout in womens boxing and at least two minute rounds makes them and allows them to throw more punches and fight with urgency which makes the fights more fun. That said , maybe three minute rounds would make for more knockouts and more excitement. I don't particularly care to watch fights where there is almost no chance of a stoppage , but at least two minute rounds make it more palatable, three minutes of no danger is a long time.
              Last edited by pnut901; 04-07-2024, 01:31 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Serrano claimed to have some sort of eye injury before her last fight but promised the German girl they would fight, so I don't see her taking Skye up on her offer just yet.
                I suspect Serrano will try to fight Nina Meinke again as she will want to keep her promise, she may fight Skye afterwards if there is a big offer made by matchroom or another promoter otherwise Serrano will look elsewhere for a bigger name or just keep defending her belts against the other mandatories. The only way this fight is next is if the other sanctioning bodies mandate it, and they have no obligation to do so as Skye Nicolson is now the champion of different sanctioning body.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                  but muh a-side doe? If Sky wants 12 X 3 it could happen but Serrano is calling the shots being the 2nd most famous female fighter in the world. If Sky doesn't like it she can fight pole dancers for next to no money on untelevised events.
                  That's why Serrano dropped the WBC title. She wanted fights to be 12 3 minute rounds but the WBC said no. That's the excuse she used to duck Skye. Skye is willing to fight over any length Serrano feels comfortable. But she won't fight her. Serrano knows she'll be outclassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post

That's why Serrano dropped the WBC title. She wanted fights to be 12 3 minute rounds but the WBC said no. That's the excuse she used to duck Skye. Skye is willing to fight over any length Serrano feels comfortable. But she won't fight her. Serrano knows she'll be outclassed.
                    I don't see what dropping the WBC belt and showing them that she doesn't need them has to do with ducking anyone, this Skye has 10 fights hard to duck someone so new who has only been a pro 2 years.
                    pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X