Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sebastian Fundora-Tim Tszyu and the Fickle Finger (and Biceps ... and Elbow) of Fate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sebastian Fundora-Tim Tszyu and the Fickle Finger (and Biceps ... and Elbow) of Fate

Saturday night, chaos theory fully broke Sebastian Fundora's way, while Tim Tszyu found himself in "the darkest timeline." Boxing sliding doors are a fun thought experiment, but we only get the one timeline.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BoxingUpdates; 04-02-2024, 06:40 PM.

The undertone here is that Bohachuk would have beaten Fundora almost for sure.

But Fundora made a Halloween mask with the face of Erickson Lubin, a fighter probably more talented than Bohachuk.

I believe that both Mendoza's KO of Fundora and Bohachuk's beating of Mendoza have caused a small earthquake in the balance of many critics. Even if Tszyu started the fight in very promising fashion, it's not a given that Fundora would have folded easily. The kid is tough.
    Corelone Corelone Sabiondo Sabiondo like this.

Comment

Good story.
      However,... Tszyu was Accidentally Fouled by Fundora's Elbow.
      And therefore because the blood running into Tszyu's eyes put him at a disadvantage because of the foul the fight should have been stopped by the referee at the end of the 3rd. Round.
      ​Round, A foul, intentionally or Accidentally cannot favour one fighter over another.
      Fundora had a massive advantage from rounds 3 to 12. And one judge had him losing!
      Fouls cannot and never should give one fighter a huge advantage.
      The Referee says at the start..
      I want a clean and FAIR Fight

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdoug58 View Post
        Good story.
        However,... Tszyu was Accidentally Fouled by Fundora's Elbow.
        And therefore because the blood running into Tszyu's eyes put him at a disadvantage because of the foul the fight should have been stopped by the referee at the end of the 3rd. Round.
        ​Round, A foul, intentionally or Accidentally cannot favour one fighter over another.
        Fundora had a massive advantage from rounds 3 to 12. And one judge had him losing!
        Fouls cannot and never should give one fighter a huge advantage.
        The Referee says at the start..
        I want a clean and FAIR Fight
        Are you serious? Tszyu moved his head into Fundora's elbow, which was at his own side. Fundora didn't elbow Tszyu, Tszyu headbutted Fundora's elbow. It was not a foul, not even close to one.

It is asinine to call it a foul. It legitimately leads me to question if you actually saw the fight, or know what a foul is. Nobody of any repute I have seen anywhere has called for that to be viewed as a foul against Fundora.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, that you simply mean accident, as opposed to foul, but it is very difficult to take your opinion seriously.

Comment

The general tone of this article is something that makes boxing interesting, especially modern boxing. In a sport where the very best only participate a handful of times in their primes, and only several dozen times throughout their career, do we have a significant enough sample size to truly evaluate a given fighter accurately.

In baseball, an ATG like Ken Griffey Jr. had over 11,000 plate appearances and over 2,500 games played; despite being injury prone in the latter portion of his career. That is enough information to evaluate him as a player. In basketball, Tim Duncan took over 20,000 regular season field goal attempts in over 47,000 minutes played. Heck, even the NFL, with a mere 17 game (though recently 16 game) regular season gives far more for us to judge on.

Boxing, not so much. How many fights do we get to see of a great fighter while in their prime? You figure 2 fights a year, with a 5-7 year prime, thats not a lot. Then take into account the random variations of chance, or other events outside of a fighter's control (as shown above), it shows how little we have to judge on and how inaccurate we may feasibly be.
          TreD TreD likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
            The general tone of this article is something that makes boxing interesting, especially modern boxing. In a sport where the very best only participate a handful of times in their primes, and only several dozen times throughout their career, do we have a significant enough sample size to truly evaluate a given fighter accurately.

In baseball, an ATG like Ken Griffey Jr. had over 11,000 plate appearances and over 2,500 games played; despite being injury prone in the latter portion of his career. That is enough information to evaluate him as a player. In basketball, Tim Duncan took over 20,000 regular season field goal attempts in over 47,000 minutes played. Heck, even the NFL, with a mere 17 game (though recently 16 game) regular season gives far more for us to judge on.

Boxing, not so much. How many fights do we get to see of a great fighter while in their prime? You figure 2 fights a year, with a 5-7 year prime, thats not a lot. Then take into account the random variations of chance, or other events outside of a fighter's control (as shown above), it shows how little we have to judge on and how inaccurate we may feasibly be.
            Nice observation!

Comment

Sliding doors , the what if's of life. I think we all wonder what if I did that and took that chance years ago, how would my life be? If you spoke to that girl, if you said yes to that job opportunity?

Yes, for Fundora, it's like the stars aligned for him. He and his sister have a unique place in boxing history as world champions at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post

Are you serious? Tszyu moved his head into Fundora's elbow, which was at his own side. Fundora didn't elbow Tszyu, Tszyu headbutted Fundora's elbow. It was not a foul, not even close to one.

It is asinine to call it a foul. It legitimately leads me to question if you actually saw the fight, or know what a foul is. Nobody of any repute I have seen anywhere has called for that to be viewed as a foul against Fundora.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, that you simply mean accident, as opposed to foul, but it is very difficult to take your opinion seriously.
                Accidental and/or unintentional foul is a real thing .It doesn’t place blame .Foul is the official terminology.Look it up .
                pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

You can't refer to 'sliding doors' without involving the Gwyneth Paltrow rom-com, as it's where the term literally comes from.

As for Tszyu-Fundora, there are plenty of other possible inflexion points. What if Tim had some hair on his head? What if he didn't decide to lead with his head low against a gangly opponent that he was comfortably beating? What if his corner had been professional enough to bring some Avitene instead of just adrenaline chloride and thrombin (and I'm not even sure they had thrombin)?

As for the accidental foul and whether the ref should have stopped it: this is total hindsight judgement. At the time, no-one wanted the ref to waive it off and people would have been calling for the ref's head if he'd stopped it before the end of the fourth. He asked the doctor to look at it, and he said it was OK. I think the ref did the right thing. Obviously it was a massive disadvantage to Tszyu, but those are the rules and accidents do happen. Once four rounds were completed, the die was cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Fisto View Post
                    You can't refer to 'sliding doors' without involving the Gwyneth Paltrow rom-com, as it's where the term literally comes from.

As for Tszyu-Fundora, there are plenty of other possible inflexion points. What if Tim had some hair on his head? What if he didn't decide to lead with his head low against a gangly opponent that he was comfortably beating? What if his corner had been professional enough to bring some Avitene instead of just adrenaline chloride and thrombin (and I'm not even sure they had thrombin)?

As for the accidental foul and whether the ref should have stopped it: this is total hindsight judgement. At the time, no-one wanted the ref to waive it off and people would have been calling for the ref's head if he'd stopped it before the end of the fourth. He asked the doctor to look at it, and he said it was OK. I think the ref did the right thing. Obviously it was a massive disadvantage to Tszyu, but those are the rules and accidents do happen. Once four rounds were completed, the die was cast.
                    I honestly thought it would get called by the 4th
                    Then nothing
                    I think in the 5th , the minute Tazoo got off his stool , the blood flow started like a fountain
                    Imo , that was enough for the ref to have stoped it right there and then
                    The eye being blurred brutally and the amount of blood loss was reason enough to put a halt to the fight

Comment

Working...
                    X