Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Britain's Precocious Royston Barney-Smith Hoping To Enter Good Company

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Britain's Precocious Royston Barney-Smith Hoping To Enter Good Company

Boxing fans will get their latest glimpse at the precocious talent of super featherweight Royston Barney-Smith when he makes his first appearance of the year on Friday at York Hall in London. Barney-Smith, who recently turned 20, is aiming at becoming Britain's youngest fully recognized world champion - which would put him in some truly elite company. The bantamweight world-title picture was in a state of flux when a 19-year-old Terry Baldock won a version of it back in 1927. More recently, "Prince" Naseem Hamed was just 21 when he put on a clinic to stop Steve Robinson and win a featherweight belt in 1995. Later, in 2009, Amir Khan became a world champion at 22 when he outpointed Andreas Kotelnik for a super lightweight title.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Am I the only one who's fed up with these farcical youth title's? My understanding is that a youth is a person under the age of 18, yet we frequently see 22+ year olds contesting for it. Barney's a great talent who I'd love to see become English, British, Commonwealth & European (EBU) champion before thinking of World glory!!...
    Last edited by Mick Higgs; 03-22-2024, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X