Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "Fighting Words" -- Mike Tyson-Jake Paul: The Devil Is In The Details

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: "Fighting Words" -- Mike Tyson-Jake Paul: The Devil Is In The Details

This is going to earn more money for Mike Tyson and Jake Paul than anything else could for them in this era, all for a main event that will last an hour or less, and for the four or so months of training and promotion until then
    [Click Here To Read More]

That's a rather long article from an American writer who apparently lacks self-awareness. This Netflix farce as an event is largely uninteresting, what it says about western culture generally is worth examining. The standard formula for grifters like Jake Paul seems to be as follows:
    1. Get muscles and tattoos.
    2. Develop a character which gives the impression of confidence.
    3. Start talking on YouTube/social media a lot, being as provocative as possible.
    4. Cultivate a following of young white incels.
    5. Monetise that following with bogus events and "merch".
    What are we doing wrong in our culture that makes vacuous people like Jake Paul, the Kardashians and Andrew Tate seem compelling to young people?

Comment

Originally posted by dan-b View Post
      That's a rather long article from an American writer who apparently lacks self-awareness. This Netflix farce as an event is largely uninteresting, what it says about western culture generally is worth examining. The standard formula for grifters like Jake Paul seems to be as follows:
      3. Start talking on YouTube/social media a lot, being as provocative as possible.
      What are we doing wrong in our culture that makes vacuous people like Jake Paul, the Kardashians and Andrew Tate seem compelling to young people?
      Of all the things I've been accused of in my life, a lack of self-awareness is definitely not among them. Too much self-awareness, however...
      SteveM SteveM likes this.

Comment

I understand the writer's skepticsm, but I think the article is too cynical.

Apparently it's not going to be an exhibition. Also, why wouldn't Mike really go for it and throw punches with full force against a very young, strong guy who is still a basic boxer?

I mean, he shouldn't want to hold back as against Jones, because what can you hold back at age 57 or 58? No, you go there swinging for the fences.

That is, as long as there's not some behind the scenes agreement to take it easy for eight rounds and not hurt each other, especially for Mike not to ko Jake quickly. Which Tyson could do, by the way.

Comment

‘Celebrity’ is now an actual career path. The difference being, in past generations you actually needed to achieve something in life first in order to become a celebrity. Now you don’t. Young, impressionable people watch these goons on YouTube etc and think ‘I can do that’, which is depressing when ‘that’ is playing out a dramatised version of your life in front of a camera, or going full retárd and spouting conspiracy theories to gullible people.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
            I understand the writer's skepticsm, but I think the article is too cynical.

Apparently it's not going to be an exhibition. Also, why wouldn't Mike really go for it and throw punches with full force against a very young, strong guy who is still a basic boxer?

I mean, he shouldn't want to hold back as against Jones, because what can you hold back at age 57 or 58? No, you go there swinging for the fences.

That is, as long as there's not some behind the scenes agreement to take it easy for eight rounds and not hurt each other, especially for Mike not to ko Jake quickly. Which Tyson could do, by the way.
            uhmmmm, maybe because they are friends in real life and this is just a money-grabbing joke???
            ISboxing James likes this.

Comment

We have made everything about consumerism. And these ppl have excelled at the art of attention getting that allows ppl to sell bs through them which tends to led to them selling their own bs through themselves to maximize their profit margin.
              sidefx996 sidefx996 dan-b dan-b like this.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

uhmmmm, maybe because they are friends in real life and this is just a money-grabbing joke???
                That is true. I am not inteested im this ****

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post

Of all the things I've been accused of in my life, a lack of self-awareness is definitely not among them. Too much self-awareness, however...

I think what's required is awareness of how sad a state boxing is in when this article appears on a boxing site and not strictly on entertainment sites like TMZ, People etc
                  OldTerry OldTerry dan-b dan-b like this.

Comment

This bollocks shouldn't have anything to do with boxing .It's just a money spinning freak show for the idiots.

Comment

Working...
                    X