Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joyce Plotting Return To The Top Of Heavyweight Division's Shifting Sands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Joyce Plotting Return To The Top Of Heavyweight Division's Shifting Sands

Joe Joyce takes the first step on the long road back to a heavyweight title shot this on Saturday
    [Click Here To Read More]

A perfect example of styles make fights & why triangle theories don’t work. Joyce walked down Parker took everything absorbed every big punch & overwhelmed him for the KO. Joyce wasn’t able to do that against a big puncher like Zhang & he got stopped twice. Parker avoided most of Zhang’s big shots except for 2 & he was able to box & outwork Zhang for the decision. Time will tell if Joyce’s chin has finally been cracked like Kownacki or if it was just Zhang was just that big of a puncher. Joyce now knows he can’t just walk down every HW anymore. I’d like to see Joyce/Wilder.

Comment

The only danger Kash Ali brings is that he's known to bite people. His hands are worthless.

Comment

Glad he is rebuilding slowly. Joyce can still be a fun fighter and can be a significant part of the HW division. But he needs a few fights to get that mojo back and improve on some technique. This is a fin place to start over.

Comment

Please retire while you are healthy

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
            A perfect example of styles make fights & why triangle theories don’t work. Joyce walked down Parker took everything absorbed every big punch & overwhelmed him for the KO. Joyce wasn’t able to do that against a big puncher like Zhang & he got stopped twice. Parker avoided most of Zhang’s big shots except for 2 & he was able to box & outwork Zhang for the decision. Time will tell if Joyce’s chin has finally been cracked like Kownacki or if it was just Zhang was just that big of a puncher. Joyce now knows he can’t just walk down every HW anymore. I’d like to see Joyce/Wilder.
            Joyce: pressure fighter
            Parker: boxer-puncher
            Zhang: counter-puncher

Their respective styles are one chapter of the story. I think it's also important to look at their physical attributes. "Juggernaut" Joyce relies on durability, endurance and size; Zhang relies on accuracy, power and size; Parker relies on agility/mobility, speed, and power. Zhang and Joyce are both slow, but Joyce has the engine and Zhang has the hand-speed. In terms of skills, Joyce has porous defense and seemed to have issues with the southpaw stance. As a pressure fighter, he's also used to being the bigger fighter. I think the Joyce/Zhang match-up would always end in a stoppage, and Zhang has certain attributes that give Joyce trouble. Joyce's engine would always give him a chance against Zhang, but his defense (due to lack of agility) and southpaw issues would get him KO'ed more often than not. I think Parker is capable of beating Zhang/Joyce with the right game-plan and in-fight adjustments. Zhang and Joyce have two glaring weaknesses: stamina and defense, respectively. Parker has the style and physical attributes to exploit both. I think Parker would win a rematch against Joyce.

Comment

Ok, if he has what it takes to be top 10, then he must not waste time, because he is 39. At least two fights this year and his next opponent after Kash Ali (because I don't see him losing to this guy) must be a quality opponent. Three fights are even better.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post

Joyce: pressure fighter
                Parker: boxer-puncher
                Zhang: counter-puncher

Their respective styles are one chapter of the story. I think it's also important to look at their physical attributes. "Juggernaut" Joyce relies on durability, endurance and size; Zhang relies on accuracy, power and size; Parker relies on agility/mobility, speed, and power. Zhang and Joyce are both slow, but Joyce has the engine and Zhang has the hand-speed. In terms of skills, Joyce has porous defense and seemed to have issues with the southpaw stance. As a pressure fighter, he's also used to being the bigger fighter. I think the Joyce/Zhang match-up would always end in a stoppage, and Zhang has certain attributes that give Joyce trouble. Joyce's engine would always give him a chance against Zhang, but his defense (due to lack of agility) and southpaw issues would get him KO'ed more often than not. I think Parker is capable of beating Zhang/Joyce with the right game-plan and in-fight adjustments. Zhang and Joyce have two glaring weaknesses: stamina and defense, respectively. Parker has the style and physical attributes to exploit both. I think Parker would win a rematch against Joyce.
                I also thought Parker could have been in better shape against Joyce. He ran out of gas. He was a career high in weight but he took that step back & learned from it. He stayed active & was in the best shape of his career against Zhang & Wilder.
                kiaba360 kiaba360 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
                  I also thought Parker could have been in better shape against Joyce. He ran out of gas. He was a career high in weight but he took that step back & learned from it. He stayed active & was in the best shape of his career against Zhang & Wilder.
                  He's also the youngest of the three, which affords him the opportunity to course-correct his career. I don't see Zhang and Joyce being able or having the desire to fix their weaknesses. Zhang would at least benefit from a nutritionist because weighing 291lbs for the most important fight of his career is ridiculous.

Comment

Plotting or plodding?

Comment

Working...
                    X