Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: 'Canelo' Alvarez Reportedly Splits With PBC

'Canelo' Alvarez Reportedly Splits With PBC
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BoxingUpdates; 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM.

man big Canelo fan here, this has gotten sad for him. I don't understand why he's actively ducking David. If he loses so what, hes fought everybody.

Comment

This is going to be good, getting my popcorn ready!

Comment

Shouldn't really matter who his promoter is. WBC, WBA and IBF all need to call their mandatories. Free the belts now.

Comment

Originally posted by ramses07 View Post
          man big Canelo fan here, this has gotten sad for him. I don't understand why he's actively ducking David. If he loses so what, hes fought everybody.
          Agree!
          Huge Canelo fan here and I can still get behind the Munguia fight since I think it's way better than a Charlo fight, I can not get over a Berlanga fight and will not be buying or watching it.

Comment

I’ll watch versus Munguia or Berlanga but I won’t like it lol. Munguia is a tough fight for him.

Comment

A deal couldn't be reached with Jermall Charlo, which suggests Charlo probably priced himself out. If the buzz about Canelo fighting Berlanga in May and Munguia in September is true, I'm okay with that. I'd rather he fight Benavidez but he seems to be firm on not fighting him. He really should be stripped of a title or two if he refuses to fight him.
              pun77 pun77 likes this.

Comment

Canelo Alvarez’s Ultimatum: It’s Jermall Charlo Or Bust
                By Jeepers Isaac - 02/25/2024​

Canelo Alvarez reportedly won’t fight in May unless he gets his wish to fight Jermall Charlo. It’s Charlo or nothing for the superstar Canelo (60-2-2, 39 KOs) on May 4th, which sets up a situation where PBC must decide to go with that fight on that date or cast Alvarez adrift.

This leaves PBC in a tough spot where they either abide by what King Canelo says, or they will have a big hole in their schedule for May 4th, leaving them in a position where they can’t fill it.

Even if PBC plugged the David Benavidez vs. Oleksandr Gvozyk light heavyweight clash on the May 4th date, it won’t replace having Canelo there fighting Jermall Charlo. Benavidez is not a PPV attraction.

Mexican Journalist Breaks the News

According to the well-respected Mexican journalist Fernando Schwartz, Canelo is letting Al Haymon and PBC know that if he doesn’t get the fight against Jermall (33-0, 22 KOs) in May, he won’t be fighting. That would be a disappointment for PBC, as they would be losing the superstar Canelo for Amazon Prime PPV on May 4th.

“CANELO DOES NOT ACCEPT ANOTHER: Canelo threatened Al Haymon and #PBC; otherwise, Charlo will not fight. This is what Canelo said, and I quote: Well if it’s not Jermall, there’s no fight in May,” said Fernando Schwartz on X.

PBC’s Preference for Munguia

ESPN Knockout reported last week that PBC wants Canelo to face Mexican Jaime Munguia on May 4th but not Jermall. They view the Munguia as having a better chance of making money than a fight between Canelo and Jermall.

Canelo-Munguia would likely do better commercial numbers than a fight involving Jermall, but Canelo has put his foot down and wants Charlo. He doesn’t want Munguia, and he probably has good reasons for not wanting that match. This writer can think of three reasons why Canelo wouldn’t want to fight Munguia.

1. Munguia’s resume is 100% inflated: He hasn’t earned the fight.
                2. Alvarez not wanting a Mexican opponent on Cinco de Mayo
                3. Unfinished business with Jermall

If Canelo were to insist on fighting Jermall, which appears to be what he’s doing, “he can look for other options outside of PBC,” according to Salvador Rodriguez of ESPN.

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-new...or-bust/274778

WOW!!! Canelo must really want to fight Jermall!!! That's crazy! Well at least nobody had to end up in court!
                TreD TreD likes this.

Comment

I swear Hearn isn’t dumb enough to get Canelo back and then waste a fight on bumlanga?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    A deal couldn't be reached with Jermall Charlo, which suggests Charlo probably priced himself out. If the buzz about Canelo fighting Berlanga in May and Munguia in September is true, I'm okay with that. I'd rather he fight Benavidez but he seems to be firm on not fighting him. He really should be stripped of a title or two if he refuses to fight him.
                    I'm NOT cool with him fighting Berlanga in May! I support my NYC fighters getting the bag, but Berlanga is nowhere near as ready to fight Canelo, as Benavidez and Morrell Jr.! Even Crawford had a better chance of beating Canelo than Berlanga! If Canelo is not fighting Benavidez or Morrell Jr. in September, it's time for him to be stripped!!!
                    Last edited by Bronx2245; 02-26-2024, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X