No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: On This Day: Clay Beats Liston And Shakes Up The World

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: On This Day: Clay Beats Liston And Shakes Up The World

When Sonny Liston stepped into the ring in Miami Beach on February 25, 1964, he was widely expected to leave it the way he entered: as heavyweight champion of the world.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I remember this fight. I was nine years old. My dad said Clay didn't stand a chance. We watched Liston Patterson fight together. This is the day I became a boxing fan. I come from a long line of boxing fans. My grandfather thought Jefferies was the greatest of all time. my father it was Louis. Me it's Ali.
    Last edited by mrbig1; 02-25-2024, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Muhammad Ali
      Ooh, here comes Jordan, big tongue wobbling
      Flying through the air like a big dumb goblin
      You're the only Bull that's uglier than Rodman
      Messing with me is gambling, you got a problem!
      https://youtu.be/N_uOtAkEf6U?si=2-tFNHFof-V1UBhr
      nghtmr111 nghtmr111 likes this.

Comment

Clay/ Ali was amazing.

One does wonder though, if Liston didn't give less than his best effort in this fight. It can be argued there was nothing suspicious about the first fight, unlike the rematch.
        mrbig1 mrbig1 nghtmr111 nghtmr111 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbig1 View Post
          I remember this fight. I was nine years old. My dad said Clay didn't stand a chance. We watched Liston Patterson fight together. This is the day I became a boxing fan. I come from a long line of boxing fans. My grandfather thought Jefferies was the greatest of all time. my father it was Louis. Me it's Ali.
          I'm a musician and a fan of music, before I am a boxing fan. Music for me comes first... but being a fan of boxing is a close second.

The memories I have of getting into music as a child are precious to me.
          Being a boxing fan, I couldn't imagine what it would be like having been 9 years old and seeing a fight of this caliber!

Really cool stuff. I'm 33 now and I still consider myself a new fan, and I have a lot to learn. It's been since 2016 for me. I'm extremely intrigued by the history of boxing in the same way I'm intrigued by the history of music.

Me hearing stories of people who've seen bands I like, back in the day when they were in their prime, is amazing.

To have seen Ali vs Liston is so ****ing cool to me!
          mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Ali beat Liston so bad, whooped him around that ring so easily and won the title so young and looked so good doing it, fools still think Liston threw the right...even when he was the one CHEATING to win the fight.

Truly the greatest upset of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by nghtmr111 View Post

I'm a musician and a fan of music, before I am a boxing fan. Music for me comes first... but being a fan of boxing is a close second.

The memories I have of getting into music as a child are precious to me.
              Being a boxing fan, I couldn't imagine what it would be like having been 9 years old and seeing a fight of this caliber!

Really cool stuff. I'm 33 now and I still consider myself a new fan, and I have a lot to learn. It's been since 2016 for me. I'm extremely intrigued by the history of boxing in the same way I'm intrigued by the history of music.

Me hearing stories of people who've seen bands I like, back in the day when they were in their prime, is amazing.

To have seen Ali vs Liston is so ****ing cool to me!
              That same month of that same year. The Beatles came to American. Three months before that President Kennedy was assassinated. After those three events America was never the same.
              nghtmr111 nghtmr111 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                Ali beat Liston so bad, whooped him around that ring so easily and won the title so young and looked so good doing it, fools still think Liston threw the right...even when he was the one CHEATING to win the fight.

Truly the greatest upset of all time.
                Nah it wasn't a big upset so many people thought Cassius would win it I can remember my ol man telling my Uncle to bet his house on Clay, unlike Buster Douglas Stopping Mike Tyson, nobody gave him a chance I think Douglas was like 40 to 1 or some crazy odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

Nah it wasn't a big upset so many people thought Cassius would win it I can remember my ol man telling my Uncle to bet his house on Clay, unlike Buster Douglas Stopping Mike Tyson, nobody gave him a chance I think Douglas was like 40 to 1 or some crazy odds.
                  Did you get into my stash? Out of 46 boxing writers only 3 picked Clay. You know why Clay was the #1 contender? Wins over Jones and Copper did It. It's because Liston has already cleaned out the division even before he became Champ. Plus, two fights with the Champ Patterson went a total of 4 minutes and 16 seconds. the odds for the fight were 7-1.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbig1 View Post

That same month of that same year. The Beatles came to American. Three months before that President Kennedy was assassinated. After those three events America was never the same.
                    Crazy time for sure. The 60s music is my favorite era for music, I love all the psychedelic rock. Soul was BIG and everything else was crazy in the world. The events you mentioned, the vietnam war. What a wild time.

Comment

Working...
                    X