Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ward Discusses The Need For A Pension For Retired Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ward Discusses The Need For A Pension For Retired Fighters

Andre Ward speaks at an event recently supporting the need of a Boxers union and pensions for fighters post-career
    [Click Here To Read More]

I’m all for this.

A percentage of their purse should go to into a pension fund, the promoter should also contribute a percentage as they are essentially the fighters employer. This could really help fighters out.

I know former British champions who work for minimum wage, there are well documented examples of World champions going bankrupt. The sport needs to do more to protect the fighters.

No chance it happens though.

Comment

This has been talked about for years and I agree we all agree something needs to be done, but a retired fighter just doesn’t have the same power to get it done as an active great fighter. Oscar, Floyd, Bernard, Hearns, Hagler, Leonard, Holmes, and many others should have stepped up and forced promoters and others to voice an opinion concerning this treatment which has gone on like racism, forever! I like Andre and was their in Cleveland during the boxoffs when he was coming up and he came out of nowhere to be as great as he was. This can get done, but it requires several people to stand up and take a stand and it will need active participation fighters as well.
      landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

The only way this idea works is if it’s out of the hands of boxing executives, if not it’s only another branch of boxing corruption. These monies should be invested into a financial institution tied to 401K investment options aligned solely to the fighter.
        landotter landotter pnut901 pnut901 like this.

Comment

This would be great to see. CA seems to have a solid pension system setup. I would love to see other states/countries join or improve upon what they are doing if some aren't already doing so or planning to do so.

Currently tho anyone making money beyond living expenses needs to be taking out $ of each purse & investing it in their future or into some retirement sh^t cuz even many greats only had 10-15yrs to make money in boxing. Very limited timetable & a long life ahead.
          landotter landotter pnut901 pnut901 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis2 View Post
            The only way this idea works is if it’s out of the hands of boxing executives, if not it’s only another branch of boxing corruption. These monies should be invested into a financial institution tied to 401K investment options aligned solely to the fighter.
            California does this already & has been since the 80s iirc. It definitely seems like a commission thing more than something I'd trust a belt group to do tho so yea I agree.

Comment

I'd like a pension, too. The fact of the matter is that most businesses moved away from providing pensions for their workers 20-30 years ago. It's a pipe dream. Boxing is barely a legitimate business. I certainly wouldn't trust them with running a 401k, either. I've heard that Al Haymon stresses the importance of saving and investing to his fighters, and helps get them set up. That's probably the way to go. Anybody can start an IRA or Brokerage account with a reputable bank.

Comment

Tf is he crying for? He got paid millions for the kova robbery and low blows. Not to mention his terrible run as commentator. Why not Kickstart it yourself
                Pharlapz Pharlapz likes this.

Comment

yeah hes right

everyone needs a rocnation in their lives

Comment

I don't see how a pension can work for all professional boxers in the world. There are too many. You might think it' be possible in a western country like the usa or uk or canada - but 95% of fighters are fighting on under-cards and have less than say, 12 fights. A good sized minority have losing records. Another good sized minority have sketchy records such as 12-9-2 or similar - these are the majority of pro fighters, fighting on non-televised under-cards hoping to move on to the next level or just supplement their income from their main job - who can't use am extra $500-1,000 per month?

A union could be good in that it could cover things like legal advice, legal insurance, and a fund to support those in need of healthcare. And also education, classes and support once the boxing career is over

Comment

Working...
                    X