Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: A King at 130, O'Shaquie Foster is Living his MSG Dream

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: A King at 130, O'Shaquie Foster is Living his MSG Dream

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - There are stats. And then there are stats that make you say, "Wow, really?" O'Shaquie Foster's KO of Rocky Hernandez last fall is surely the latter. It seems impossible to fathom, but did you know that Foster's dramatic stoppage win in defense of his WBC title at 130 pounds was just the 14th time in the history of modern championship boxing where a fighter trailing on points rallied for a finish in the final round.
    [Click Here To Read More]

What hood is he talking about? Bel-Air?

Comment

The best at 130. Navarrete and Cordina don't want that smoke.

Comment

Technically Foster is pretty good, you have to beat him because he won't give in.

Comment

Originally posted by No look hook View Post
          What hood is he talking about? Bel-Air?
          He's from east Texas

Comment

the prince of Belair nice i like that dont let the truth get in the way of a good comment......
            No look hook Slip jab likes this.

Comment

"I knew we were down," Benton said. "I didn’t think we were down, but we knew we had to knock him out. ‘Shock’ went out there and did it."

If I'm not mistaken, this was due to the fact that there was open scoring for this fight. I have mixed feelings about open scoring, but this was a case where it help Foster, because from watching the fight it appeared the scoring should be close and could have gone either way.

Comment

"And as for how the guy who pulled it off comes up with an encore, we’ll see Thursday night."
                - These bouts are actually on Friday, 2/16/24, and not on Thursday night.
                - Take care.
                - Gary G.

Comment

Just curious , when does the era of Modern Boxing begin ?

Comment

Originally posted by pnut901 View Post
                    Just curious , when does the era of Modern Boxing begin ?
                    Good question!

You could say it it began once the Queensbury rules came into play in North American. Give or take a few years, this is roughly around the time when John L Sullivan fought Gentleman Jim Corbett for the heavyweight title, though fights still had no limit on rounds, and the sport was illegal in much of the US, which undercuts the "modern boxing" argument substantially.

Personally I'd say it's when Dempsey beat Willard in 1919. It's somewhat arbitrary, but it was the first HW title fight without a crazy number of rounds and when boxing became more of a legitimate sport. Dempsey was also the first champ to receive the Ring title (later, in 1926), so I think it's a fairly solid argument to say modern boxing began with his reign as champ.
                    pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X