Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Julian Smith Floors Orestes Velazquez Four Times, Stops Him After Nine Rounds In Stunning Upset

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Julian Smith Floors Orestes Velazquez Four Times, Stops Him After Nine Rounds In Stunning Upset

Julian Smith provided an early entrant for 2024 Upset of the Year with a stunningly one-sided stoppage win over previously unbeaten Orestes Velazquez. Smith--a legally deaf boxer from the greater Chicago area--scored four knockdowns on the night and Velazquez's corner pulled the plug after the ninth round of their DAZN-aired co-feature Friday evening from Caribe Royale Resort in Orlando, Florida.
    [Click Here To Read More]

No mention of the weight class in some of these articles. Also minimal explanation as to why it is considered a massive upset - I've not hear of either of these boxers so I'm none the wiser why it's considered such an upset.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
      No mention of the weight class in some of these articles. Also minimal explanation as to why it is considered a massive upset - I've not hear of either of these boxers so I'm none the wiser why it's considered such an upset.
      140 pounds, and though already 30, Velazquez was considered a good Cuban prospect coming in and he got beat up & stopped against a 33 year old deaf +1480 underdog.

I’ve seen them both fight a few times, so I don’t think it was a “huge” upset, but I definitely leaned Velazquez winning a decision & was surprised with the result
      Last edited by edpboxing; 02-03-2024, 11:21 AM.
      SteveM SteveM likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
        thanks EDP - your info should have been in the article

Comment

Working...
        X