Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kell Brook: Golovkin Fight Damaged Me, It Changed Me, Should Have Withdrew From Spence Bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kell Brook: Golovkin Fight Damaged Me, It Changed Me, Should Have Withdrew From Spence Bout

Former IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook has told Simon Jordan, that he doubted himself for the first time in his career in the lead up to his fight with middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 01-26-2024, 03:12 AM.

Kell was the top dog at 147 for awhile after he beat porter

Comment

Hearn just couldn't make the fights with the other champions. Got frustrated with Eubank and offered Brook the GGG fight. Guess he'll always wonder if it was the right thing to do

Comment

Tbh I blame AMIR KHAN for this debacle and for ruining both his + Kell's career's. Let me explain...Khan was always a world class fighter (obviously...he was a unified world champion) but NEVER an elite top 10 p4p fighter at his peak. However, his huge ego couldn't handle that which is why he was constantly chasing fights with p4p #1 fighter's during his career like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo + Crawford etc because if he managed to beat one of those guys, he could look back on his career one day and say 'I was the #1 p4p fighter during my peak'. However, those fights either never materialised and when they did he got his ass handed to him because levels exist for a reason.

Anyhow, after getting knocked out by Garcia, Khan left Roach and hired Hunter where he went on a 5 fight unbeaten streak as a Welterweight with some very one-sided victories over former champions Algieri, Alexander & Collazo. Khan was boxing beautifully and could've had a real shot at becoming a two weight world champion. Following his victory over Algieri in May 2015, it was literally the PERFECT time to make a huge 'Battle of Britain' showdown for newly crowned Brook's IBF Welterweight title. The fight would've been massive in England given their rivalry plus the fact that a world title was on the line. However, instead of facing Kell, Khan got greedy and climbed two weight divisions to fight Canelo who took what was left of his limited punch resistance and a few years out of his career by flattening him like a rolling pin rolling dough. As a result, Kell was forced to look for other opponents and faced the same fate himself at the hands of Golovkin which he admits was a big mistake and ruined his career.

I've always rated Kell as the better fighter of the two so would've fancied him to beat Khan had they both met at 147 in 2015. However, Khan's victory over Alexander was so impressive plus he seemed to handle Brook's punches much better than I thought without going down when they finally did meet that I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to outbox him either. Anyhow, this is just a tale of how one man's greed and ego robbed the fan's of a fantastic fight and ruined both fighter's career's in the process.
        Last edited by HisExcellency; 01-26-2024, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Errol also had problems going into that fight, he had the flu and was fighting overseas, it was a battle no doubt about that.
          icee icee likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatintheboat View Post
            Hearn just couldn't make the fights with the other champions. Got frustrated with Eubank and offered Brook the GGG fight. Guess he'll always wonder if it was the right thing to do
            Brook actually specifically asked Hearn for the GGG fight, which after Eubank pulled out Hearn asked Brook if he still wanted the fight and Brook said yes.

It was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen but Brook was trying to one up Khan who was fighting Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post
              Errol also had problems going into that fight, he had the flu and was fighting overseas, it was a battle no doubt about that.
              Not exactly the same as dropping two weight classes and after having your face caved in by prime GGG.

Ive always believed Brook before GGG would've beaten Errol. But the GGG fight and then coming back down from 160 was took too much out of him.

Comment

Kell brook fight changed ggg too and made him lose his "monster" aura. It showed that ggg can be hurt by little guys and ggg also went on a downward decline after this fight, arguably losing to jacobs and derevyanchenko, losing to canelo twice, getting tagged up by lesser competition like steve rolls, and more people were calling him out after the kell brook fight.
                Last edited by Lance98; 01-26-2024, 05:32 AM.
                Bret_Hart Bret_Hart likes this.

Comment

Fighting Golovkin was one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen. Shame on Hearn for allowing it to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Atypicalbrit View Post

Brook actually specifically asked Hearn for the GGG fight, which after Eubank pulled out Hearn asked Brook if he still wanted the fight and Brook said yes.

It was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen but Brook was trying to one up Khan who was fighting Canelo.
                    Hearn should've veto'd it. Classic example of chasing a pound note rather than looking after your fighter. Brook could've gone blind, put into a coma, all kinds of nasty s***

Comment

Working...
                    X