No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones - Superman at 55

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Roy Jones - Superman at 55

Superman turned 55 on Tuesday. It's almost hard to believe that Roy Jones Jr. is ten years away from being a senior citizen, especially when we've only just seen him in the ring in April of last year, losing an eight-round majority decision to Anthony Pettis.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 01-19-2024, 09:21 AM.

I always thought that if Jones retired after the Ruiz fight he would have went down as a top 5 pound for pound and making an argument for #1.

Comment

please no more roy fights or exhibitions or whatever. hes been slurring his speech for almost 20 years now. hope he can get his "fix" by just being a trainer now

Comment

Originally posted by takenotes View Post
        I always thought that if Jones retired after the Ruiz fight he would have went down as a top 5 pound for pound and making an argument for #1.
        If that were true then, it would be true now. Fighters are judged by their prime and their achievements. Duran fought long after his best years were behind him — lost to some guys that couldn’t carry his ATG strap. Same with Ali.

Comment

Roy Jones Jr is that boxer who fell from grace, not due to drugs, scandal, or crime........but due to staying in the ring too long.

He had a chance to be household great, but dodged some key fights when he was in his prime, and looked like a coward VS Tarver in fight III, and against Calzaghe after a blown opportunity when he had Joe hurt in round 1.

Comment

If Roy would of walked away after he won the heavyweight title he'd of went down as one of the greatest pound for pound fighters of all time. but he was a guy who loved it to much to just walk away and it cost him some heavy losses and his reputation taking hits. To me though in his prime there's probably not somebody who was as athletically gifted in a boxing as Roy. But when athletsicm dwindelled he didn't have the technical stuff to fall back on as much or was able to adapt his style and he'd continued to fight how he did but obviously slower with worst timing and reflexes etc
            MoonCheese Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Why do people care that he lost and fought way past his prime, I'd favor the best version of him over anyone under 200lbs.

Its often forgotten that he beat Tarver clearly 8-4 in their first fight and there would have been no rematch if not for the fact that Roy was so great.

Comment

Who cares about this drug cheat.
                Boxing Scene Boxing Scene likes this.

Comment

Some of these comments crack me up. Regardless if he never fought again after his heavyweight title win he is still the man that did that and is STILL one of the P4P greatest. Not for money, or for more belts. Because he chose to keep fighting for his love of the sport, makes it even better for me personally. Of course nobody wants to see the boxer who was in his prime couldn't lose, lose. However he didn't care and still doesn't. I had a chance to meet Roy when I lived in the Gulf Coast of Florida. Away from the lights, cameras and media he is super chill, laid back and down to earth. Long live Roy Jones Jr!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                    Why do people care that he lost and fought way past his prime, I'd favor the best version of him over anyone under 200lbs.

Its often forgotten that he beat Tarver clearly 8-4 in their first fight and there would have been no rematch if not for the fact that Roy was so great.
                    Huge Roy Jones fan but that first fight with Tarver was anything but clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X