Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Turki Alalshikh Indicates His Health Issues Accelerated Saudi Spending Spree On Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Turki Alalshikh Indicates His Health Issues Accelerated Saudi Spending Spree On Boxing

Turki Alalshikh has brazenly become perhaps the most prominent power broker in boxing over the past few months. As chairman of Saudi Arabia's General Entertainment Authority, Alalshikh has been afforded the vast financial resources by his polarizing country's government to fully finance many of the biggest boxing matches that have taken place or been scheduled since late in October. Alalshikh is also very passionate about a now niche sport he hopes regains what he believes is its prestigious, rightful place worldwide.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    eco1 eco1 likes this.

Don't know the man or his background, but, for as long as it lasts, I can really appreciate what he's doing for the sport.
    This has the vibe of being a unique time in boxing that we'll look back on and realize we were very fortunate to bear witness to.

Comment

this is the last jolt for boxing.

this guy is losing money on every event and unfortunately boxing isn't coming back. Beterbiev/Smith was on free tv and only got 600K viewers. that is absolutely brutal for one of boxing's best champions with 100% KO ratio.

nobody with any sense will keep doing what this dying boomer is doing out of sentimentality.
      hhh1200 hhh1200 likes this.

Comment

It's pretty cool what he's doing but I also not see it sustainable. He's putting on huge mega matches that are most definitely not making back what he's spending to put them on. At least not so frequently as he has (is).

Although it's cool, I wish there was a format brought back with consistency such as obviously ESPN fights, Showtime/ShoBox, HBO. I caught ProboxTV last night on Youtube. It was pretty cool and I hope they can remain around. Their next show is January 31st and it definitely brings back ESPN vibes. Production is pretty good while keeping the venue small and intimate. I wonder if they can make enough $$$ off Youtube ads/subscribers and ticket sales to keep the lights on to the point where it can grow even bigger. I think free live fights on Youtube is an awesome way to go. You can also add subscription models to your Youtube account to give exclusive content to bank even more $$$.

Anyways, went on a little side rant, but yeah, I miss boxing when you could just catch something almost every week on one channel or another.
        pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

i feel truly this is the last charge of our spending brigade $$$ to boxing. I don't know how the the next generation of boxing fans will pickup watching interests.

Comment

This guy has been great for boxing , and I love his " why wait ? " mentality. I hope that he stays healthy for a long time and continues to receive support from the King and Crown Prince. I'd really like to see him take an interest in more lighter weight classes as well.

On another note , this whole notion of Kings and Princes is just insane. It was a terrible idea in medieval times and it's still a terrible idea.
            ifc ifc likes this.

Comment

Eddie was saying something about how he had an interesting story. I'd be curious to know more about his story & his health issues.

Comment

Saudi Arabia Eyes Haney – Davis Superfight In 2024: Alalshikh Extends The Invitation

​His Excellency Turki Alalshikh says he’s contacted Al Haymon of PBC to bring champions Devin Haney and Gervonta Davis to Saudi Arabia for a mega-fight in 2024. The Saudis are the ones that have the power to motivate Tank Davis (29-0, 27 KOs) to take the fight with Haney (31-0, 15 KOs), who is a lot bigger and thus far has been resistant to agreeing to weight stipulations.

A Dream Fight

“I want him [Davis], and I send a message now to Al Haymon; ‘Let’s do the job, brother. I want to see Haney in my country. I will try to do it in 2024,” said His Excellency Turki Alalshikh to DAZN Boxing about his desire to stage the Tank Davis vs. Devin Haney fight in Saudi Arabia this year.

Haney and Tank have been going back and forth, trading insults since last year, getting fans interested, but never actually fighting. Although the 24-year-old Haney and his father, Bill, have shown a desire to make the fight, the huge weight difference between the two makes it difficult.

Haney rehydrated to 165 for his last fight against WBC 140-lb champion Regis Prograis on December 9th last month and used his size to dominate the smaller, 35-year-old champ. It looked almost unfair with the difference in size between the two fighters.Like a lot of young fighters, the 25-year-old Haney is able to drain down to fight in weight classes that he couldn’t do if he were older.

Challenges and Opportunities

Putting the Haney vs. Davis fight together to stage it in Saudi Arabia will take a lot of work with negotiating and figuring out the financial side.There will need to be some give on Haney’s part with the weight because it wouldn’t be fair to Tank Davis if he walks into the ring and is confronted by Haney, weighing 170+ lbs and looking like he should be fighting at super middleweight against David Benavidez. Haney will need to agree to a rehydration clause to keep him from shooting up to 165 to 170+ on fight night, which would make the fight look like a complete oddity size-wise.

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-new...itation/273190

Comment

Ahhhh . . . The deceitful glow of the last, dying embers of the long lived sport called boxing. I loved it. My dad and his loved it. The Greeks, Romans & British loved it. Maybe the correlation between boxing and our Constitutional Republic are linked.

Comment

Originally posted by pnut901 View Post
                    On another note , this whole notion of Kings and Princes is just insane. It was a terrible idea in medieval times and it's still a terrible idea.
                    It is indeed absurd. And whilst all of this is great for boxing fans, I'm sure there are working class Saudis who would prefer this money be spent for their benefit rather than for the entertainment of a sickly 42 year old prince.
                    pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X