Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Wilder, Tank-Haney, Beterbiev-Smith, Ennis, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Wilder, Tank-Haney, Beterbiev-Smith, Ennis, More

The Daily Bread Mailbag returns with Stephen "Breadman" Edwards tackling topics such as Devin Haney vs. Gervonta Davis, Jai Opetaia, the career of Deontay Wilder, Artur Beterbiev vs. Callum Smith, manager Cameron Dunkin, referee Kenny Bayless, former world champion Errol Spence, welterweight champion Jaron Ennis, and more.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I’m glad Breadman mentioned the disparity in rehydrated, functional fight night weight between Haney and Tank. It’s likely as substantial as he believes. But here’s the thing. Lomachenko almost certainly gave away that much weight to Haney back in May. And that fight was tooth and nail all the way, with most observers believing Loma edged it. Pound for pound? Lomachenko’s still right up there folks. And yes, he should be considered higher than Haney.

Comment

Really good column. I enjoyed the comments about the 70's and 90's heavyweights. The Pryor fight against Arguello was a big time fight. Geez, Pryor could really fight. So what if he wasn't a one punch, knockout artist. His destruction of Arguello was brutal. It looked like a fight, briefly, before Pryor took over. Once he started boxing and moving, it was all over for Arguello. I remember Sugar Ray Leonard commenting, "Arguello can't handle this."

Comment

To say 2 of the biggest ducks in the sport( Tank, Haney) want to fight each other is laughable. Eddie ain't paying no one in this fight 20 million. All talk, it's what Eddie does best, it's funny that people out there actually believe it....
        Poopdick Poopdick likes this.

Comment

Not sure I agree with Bread on Bivol and Smith as it relates to Beterbiev. He seems to think Smith's only real tool in his arsenal has a chance to stop Beterbiev, but he thinks Beterbiev stops Bivol, who is so far beyond Smith on a technical level, it's humorous. I don't know; I don't try to get mixed up in triangle theories, but my gut tells me Beterbiev will adjust his looping right to compensate for Smith and then Bivol will just outpoint the crap out of him. I don't see Smith upsetting the line here. I just don't.

Comment

Tank will never step up and fight a threat as long as he has suckers paying to watch him fight Rolly. His fans don't require him to face tough fighters.
            Poopdick Poopdick likes this.

Comment

A very thorough and insightful column.

Interesting about the pick of Beterbiev over Bivol. I'd say Bivol boxes Beterbiev's ears off, but just an opinion. Bivol is not the most exciting, but very effective.

I would also have loved it if Leonard and Pryor fought. I think Leonard was better, but yeah, Pryor had Arguello's number.

Comment

So Tank is the A-side and he doesn’t accept offers, he makes offers?

When is he going to make an offer to Devin Haney or Shakur Stevenson then? Why did he manage to avoid Lomachenko all these years and even whined that Floyd was trying to get him beat when he was talking about making that matchup?

Certainly Tank has been moved well but as far as fans wanting to see the best fight the best he has fallen way short.
                Poopdick Poopdick Verus Verus tmcp tmcp pnut901 pnut901 Sabiondo Sabiondo and 1 others like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Elding View Post
                  I’m glad Breadman mentioned the disparity in rehydrated, functional fight night weight between Haney and Tank. It’s likely as substantial as he believes. But here’s the thing. Lomachenko almost certainly gave away that much weight to Haney back in May. And that fight was tooth and nail all the way, with most observers believing Loma edged it. Pound for pound? Lomachenko’s still right up there folks. And yes, he should be considered higher than Haney.
                  Liar, not most observers but most Loma fans believe that he won the fight. Haney beat a scared fighting Loma. Period.

Comment

Incredible insight, phenomenal recall. I don't know why Stephen Edwards bothers but I'm glad he does and smart enough to know it's a gift for as long as it lasts.

Comment

Working...
                    X