Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: If [Estrada] Wasn't Impressed With Bam, Then It Should Be An Easy Fight To Make

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hearn: If [Estrada] Wasn't Impressed With Bam, Then It Should Be An Easy Fight To Make

Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez and Eddie Hearn had a quick laugh over the feedback offered by the sport's reigning junior bantamweight king. Many in the sport were naturally taken aback by Rodriguez's performance in a stoppage win over Sunny Edwards after nine rounds to unify the IBF and WBO flyweight titles earlier this month. Lineal and WBC 115-pound king Juan Francisco Estrada--who was ringside for the event at Desert Diamond Arena in Glendale, Arizona--was among the small few who didn't offer glowing reviews of the 23-year-old San Antonio native.
    [Click Here To Read More]

It's messed up how many Mexican fighters do not respect Mexican-American fighters. I remember when Marquez before the fight with Juan Diaz said that Diaz could not beat him because he was a true Mexican. And when Oscar fought Chavez, all the fans from south of the border who had supported Oscar, were 100% against him when those two fought. And now this. I don't know if it is jealousy or envy or cultural isolation or something else. In each of those cases and others it bugged me to hear about such a lack of support. I don't see how Estrada cannot be impressed with Jesse, he does everything well. Could be as simple as a core rivalry and not related to the things I mentioned. But I think would be the same with probably every culture. Japanese-American fought a Japanese fighter, German-American fought a Germen. I once told Danny Garcia that I thought it was great that he had a warm welcome when he visited PR for a fight once (they even had the "I'm Coming Home" music) but to always remember home is where you were raised and that if he had fought a PR born and raised on the island that they would turn their backs on him because he was not fully one of them, their culture, their lifestyle, their origin. It is a sad commentary on the territorial nature of culture but it fits the expression of It is what it is, or what I always say, It is what it isn't. Can't say I'm sure Estrada turns his nose up to Jesse for that reason or just because he competes in his weight areas, but wouldn't surprise me if that is the case as modern history has shown this. But it was a rotten thing for Marquez to say about Juan Diaz, not necessary to put him down just because he was a Mexican-American.
    Last edited by richardt; 12-25-2023, 11:45 AM.
    JLC JLC likes this.

Comment

Offer Gallo a good deal and he’d probably take the fight. Just don’t come with some lowball bullcrap like Ioka did.

Comment

El Gallo playing 4D checkers out here lol.

Legit superfight imho.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Offer Gallo a good deal and he’d probably take the fight. Just don’t come with some lowball bullcrap like Ioka did.
          Estrada still would have to be willing to take a decent paycut from his last match regardless though for it to happen. If the rumors were true that an offer of $1mil wasn't high enough, I don't see Bam being able to offer that much more given that his best fight money he got was about $500-600k from the Sunny unification last week, while Estrada was looking for equal or more than the purse he got from Choco III ($2mil).

Frankly I would rather see Bam vs Estrada because that will be far more interesting than Ioka vs Estrada ever would've been so it will work out better if it does indeed happen, but the worst case is that neither happens and another few months go on with Estrada still inactive.

Comment

Originally posted by Elheath View Post
            Estrada still would have to be willing to take a decent paycut from his last match regardless though for it to happen. If the rumors were true that an offer of $1mil wasn't high enough, I don't see Bam being able to offer that much more given that his best fight money he got was about $500-600k from the Sunny unification last week, while Estrada was looking for equal or more than the purse he got from Choco III ($2mil).

Frankly I would rather see Bam vs Estrada because that will be far more interesting than Ioka vs Estrada ever would've been so it will work out better if it does indeed happen, but the worst case is that neither happens and another few months go on with Estrada still inactive.
            What I heard is that Ioka offered Estrada half of what he made against Chocolatito.

They can maybe put Bam vs Estrada on the undercard of one of the Saudi shows and he’d get more than that certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
              It's messed up how many Mexican fighters do not respect Mexican-American fighters. I remember when Marquez before the fight with Juan Diaz said that Diaz could not beat him because he was a true Mexican. And when Oscar fought Chavez, all the fans from south of the border who had supported Oscar, were 100% against him when those two fought. And now this. I don't know if it is jealousy or envy or cultural isolation or something else. In each of those cases and others it bugged me to hear about such a lack of support. I don't see how Estrada cannot be impressed with Jesse, he does everything well. Could be as simple as a core rivalry and not related to the things I mentioned. But I think would be the same with probably every culture. Japanese-American fought a Japanese fighter, German-American fought a Germen. I once told Danny Garcia that I thought it was great that he had a warm welcome when he visited PR for a fight once (they even had the "I'm Coming Home" music) but to always remember home is where you were raised and that if he had fought a PR born and raised on the island that they would turn their backs on him because he was not fully one of them, their culture, their lifestyle, their origin. It is a sad commentary on the territorial nature of culture but it fits the expression of It is what it is, or what I always say, It is what it isn't. Can't say I'm sure Estrada turns his nose up to Jesse for that reason or just because he competes in his weight areas, but wouldn't surprise me if that is the case as modern history has shown this. But it was a rotten thing for Marquez to say about Juan Diaz, not necessary to put him down just because he was a Mexican-American.
              I believe it's got everything to do with perception because Marquez likely saw Diaz as less Mexican because he endured the hardships of Mexico while in his eyes Diaz had the luxury of America. Marquez had deal with the good and bad of Mexico while he'll see Diaz as only getting the luxuries of it. Similar situation with Oscar and Chavez with the mexican public viewing Chavez as there champion because of the precived notion of his struggle being more closely related to there's therefore he represents Mexico not the flashy and pretty Oscar, which represents America. The question is there any truth in these perceptions? And if there is does it truly affect one's ties to a culture. Are you born into a culture or do you adopt the one of you're environment?

Comment

Bam will whoop his old ass

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  Or like the lowball offer Canelo gave to Bivol?

Comment

estradas not even figthing anymore. waiting for that 100 million dollar wilder offer i guess

Comment

Working...
                    X