Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Showtime Sports Release Special Feature 'End of an Era' - Closing The Book on 37-Years of Boxing Coverage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Showtime Sports Release Special Feature 'End of an Era' - Closing The Book on 37-Years of Boxing Coverage

After 37 years, Showtime Sports has signed off for the final time signaling the end of an era and the conclusion of boxing coverage that spanned four decades and chronicled the sport and its athletes from prospects to global stardom. END OF AN ERA, produced by multi-time Emmy winner Sam Shouvlin and Emmy-nominated ALL ACCESS Director Nick Manning, is available now on the Showtime Sports YouTube Channel.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I see the same fate for Showtime as HBO. They are focusing on scripted shows and going away from sports. Yes the boxing game is not as popular as it was once but wether you believe it or not, it's a money maker, just because it's a global sport, and there's other avenues of revenue besides the revenue from the states. Plain and simple, putting fights together has a less production cost than scripted shows do, and when you put events on with higher paid boxers, you just put it on ppv and let it pay for itself.

I don't think people realize back when HBO got out of the boxing game, it lost 6 million subscribers in one year, and look at it now with just Max or whatever it is now, they are hemorrhaging money, you can look it up, they are really struggling, not just because there's a ton of content, but because people want bang for their buck. I remember for me when my dad paid for HBO on cable, he saw it worth it because I can watch some movies, shows, and catch some fights, after that ended, sports fans were like, I'm not paying that money just to watch some movies here and there. That's why Prime amongst others are getting into the sports game because they know they need other content than shows and movies.

I know people here in the states thinks that the boxing game is done, but that's because of the media, the same media that tells you Soccer su***, yet is the richest sport in the world, and I don't know if some of you guys know, boxing and combat sports, world wide, is the third biggest money generator in all of sports. So some of you guys that think boxing is dead need to get out your bubble and see that there's a big world out there.....
    Sweet_Science_ Sweet_Science_ likes this.

Comment

Dont let the door hit ya. I hated almost all those dudes. Corporate douchebags. Mauro and Gray pissed me off to the point where I yelled at the TV almost every show and turned off the volume half the time. I have nothing against the fighter announcers Mares, Marquez.
      When all the networks had boxing I watched Showtime dead last because of the announcing. The cards themselves were predictable. Some great some crap. Just like all boxing shows until Probox which doesnt knowingly have many mismatches.

Luke Thomas and Brian Cambell were stellar however! Absolutely great duo. What a shame they were relegated to the pre-fight internet broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfield02 View Post
        I know people here in the states thinks that the boxing game is done, but that's because of the media, the same media that tells you Soccer su***, yet is the richest sport in the world, and I don't know if some of you guys know, boxing and combat sports, world wide, is the third biggest money generator in all of sports. So some of you guys that think boxing is dead need to get out your bubble and see that there's a big world out there.....
        The reason boxing feels dead is because it's spread too thin (too many networks) and in doing so feels like it's losing out to MMA despite not being true, doesn't help the fights most of the casuals want aren't materialising and people don't really care about anything south of 35...

Comment

Oh, one last thing, JIm Gray, are you done? Will you finally be retiring? Dont you think it's time to hang em up?

Comment

Showtime and HBO leaving boxing was inevitable as the networks attempt to adapt their models to streaming. There was a time when people thought the introduction of TV would kill off the sport of boxing due to the affects on the gate.

Comment

Did they air that during their last broadcast? I went the next day and it was some 5min video of all the workers saying how much they love each other. Not much about boxing really

Comment

Working...
              X