Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jai Opetaia Faces Being Stripped Of IBF Title Ahead Of Planned Fight Versus Ellis Zorro

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jai Opetaia Faces Being Stripped Of IBF Title Ahead Of Planned Fight Versus Ellis Zorro

Jai Opetaia is now stuck with the decision to keep his title or proceed with his scheduled fight. BoxingScene.com has confirmed that the reigning cruiserweight champion was never granted permission by the IBF to proceed with a voluntary title defense versus England's Ellis Zorro. The fight is currently scheduled to be a part of the December 23 blockbuster event in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. However, the sanctioning body has now made it clear that he will be stripped of the title if he proceeded with the fight. Opetaia was previously ordered to honor a mandatory title defense versus Latvia's Mairis Briedis, whom he defeated last July 2 to claim the crown. That is the fight that the sanctioning body now expects to next take place and the only one it will approve. Zorro is unranked by the IBF, which further complicated the matter.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 12-09-2023, 12:59 PM.

How has Briedis earned a mandatory shot?
    kiaba360 kiaba360 likes this.

Comment

Richard Rivera is not unbeaten , granted he should've won the decision against Badou Jack but he didn't and thus is not undefeated

Comment

Cruiserweight is in a weird position right now , no real star names and few elite fighters but there is a lot of fun entertaining guys. Billam-Smith loses to Riakporhe if they ever rematch and Goulamirian loses to the likes of Chamberlain , Glanton , Okolie , Dorticos and a few others

Comment

Originally posted by YoungRJM View Post
          How has Briedis earned a mandatory shot?
          This is what I don't understand. Briedis hasn't fought since the Opetaia fight. Don't you normally have to FIGHT for a mandatory position? IBF's 1 and 2 spots are vacant, so wtf are they thinking? It's not like Briedis was an active IBF champion, so why give him this favorable treatment?
          Last edited by kiaba360; 12-09-2023, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post

This is what I don't understand. Briedis hasn't fought since the Opetaia fight. Don't you normally have to FIGHT for a mandatory position? IBF's 1 and 2 spots are vacant, so wtf are they thinking?
            I'm baffled too , normally you see ex Champs in an eliminator for the title which is annoying but understandable but to be given a mandatory with no fights since losing your title ages ago is just stupid. I like the IBF and their stand on mandatories but this is ridiculous, he hasn't even had a tune up or fight against a gatekeeper

Comment

I'm baffled too , normally you see ex Champs in an eliminator for the title which is annoying but understandable but to be given a mandatory with no fights since losing your title ages ago is just stupid. I like the IBF and their stand on mandatories but this is ridiculous, he hasn't even had a tune up or fight against a gatekeeper
              He also only had one fight in 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. I wouldn't want Breidis holding my title tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post

He also only had one fight in 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. I wouldn't want Breidis holding my title tbh.
                in his prime he was elite , he gave usyk an incredibly tough fight and you could argue it was a draw or a Briedis win but he started chasing fights he was never going to get and calling out Jake Paul and all that nonsense. Plus he fought very dirty in his hometown fights against Dorticos and The Polish guy

Comment

Well what to do. Hopefully the IBF belt is on line but situation should never of arisen. Blame Opetaia and his team.

Comment

in his prime he was elite , he gave usyk an incredibly tough fight and you could argue it was a draw or a Briedis win but he started chasing fights he was never going to get and calling out Jake Paul and all that nonsense. Plus he fought very dirty in his hometown fights against Dorticos and The Polish guy
                    His skill is not debatable, but his hunger is. He's 38 and fighting on a once-a-year schedule. IBF should be getting behind Opetaia, who's actually the future of the division. I agree that he should be fighting an IBF-ranked opponent, but Breidis should also be fighting for the mandatory spot instead of having gifted to him on a silver platter. They should reach a compromise.
                    pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X