Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Diego Pacheco: "I'm In This Sport To Take On The Big Fights"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Diego Pacheco: "I'm In This Sport To Take On The Big Fights"

By Corey Erdman - The art of matchmaking in boxing is a practice of toeing several lines at once. The one between giving your fighter confidence and giving them a learning experience. The one at the intersection of actual danger based on skill and perceived danger based on name value. The one between delivering an impressive performance under duress and creating doubt in the fanbase's minds.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Good article here by Erdman. Covers all the bases. Indeed, this is exactly the type of fight you want for a prospect to get to the next level. A boxer needs experiences like this to show the fighting dog in him. I lesser man could have tucked his tail and ran/crumbled. Similarly (and in the same weight class even), even though I'm not high on Munguia's talent level - especially compared to the hype around him - it took until the Derevyanchenko fight for him to show what he's really made of. Maybe Sergiy edged him on the cards and didn't get the decision he deserved. I can see that fight either way. But, more importantly, it proved that when fight or flight time comes, Jaime is a fighter. Pacheco, thought to a bit lesser degree given the opponent and lesser degree of being hurt, proved that as well.
    BrilliantAJ BrilliantAJ likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tag, You're Hit View Post
      Good article here by Erdman. Covers all the bases. Indeed, this is exactly the type of fight you want for a prospect to get to the next level. A boxer needs experiences like this to show the fighting dog in him. I lesser man could have tucked his tail and ran/crumbled. Similarly (and in the same weight class even), even though I'm not high on Munguia's talent level - especially compared to the hype around him - it took until the Derevyanchenko fight for him to show what he's really made of. Maybe Sergiy edged him on the cards and didn't get the decision he deserved. I can see that fight either way. But, more importantly, it proved that when fight or flight time comes, Jaime is a fighter. Pacheco, thought to a bit lesser degree given the opponent and lesser degree of being hurt, proved that as well.
      Agree, good write-up and an insightful comment from yourself. If tasked with playing matchmaker, who would you go for next? Super-middle's a bit thin at the top level but there's plenty of mid-level talents about. I don't think they can get Bazinyan, EOTT won't let him go now that he's near a shot, but I think someone around that level would be great. Maybe a Gongora? Do you think he'll ready for Sergey by the end of 2024? If they want a win next against a recognisable opponent, maybe Hart or Uzcategui?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantAJ View Post

Agree, good write-up and an insightful comment from yourself. If tasked with playing matchmaker, who would you go for next? Super-middle's a bit thin at the top level but there's plenty of mid-level talents about. I don't think they can get Bazinyan, EOTT won't let him go now that he's near a shot, but I think someone around that level would be great. Maybe a Gongora? Do you think he'll ready for Sergey by the end of 2024? If they want a win next against a recognisable opponent, maybe Hart or Uzcategui?
        Matchmaking...ughh. That's a tough to say. It doesn't ever seem to make a lot of sense. It's harder to make fights than most people think. But, as a potentially viable wishlist? In no specific order, yes, Gongora, Hart, Uzcategui, and maybe Bek, Berelanga, Munguia, Ryder. I don't know if Sergey is looking to stay around at 168 or if that was a one-off.

Comment

Working...
        X