No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Usyk Dominates, Except For.... Weekend Afterthoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Usyk Dominates, Except For.... Weekend Afterthoughts

Heading into the weekend, it was hard to get all that excited for Oleksandr Usyk's title defense against Daniel Dubois. On paper, it looked like a showdown between one of the game's elite, in any weight class, and a mandatory with little to recommend their position.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Finally common sense has prevailed in a fight that dosen't even crack the top 100 most controversial fights that I have ever witnessed. Thank you!

Comment

I was wondering if DDD’s knee went again. Something looked strange with the first KD. Although he would probably have mentioned it as part of his excuses .

Comment

Ddd is a strange guy. Has to be really frail, inside.
        fifth_root fifth_root likes this.

Comment

Hopefully, this will lead to some good: boxing commissions standardizing that trunks must be worn below the navel. I am tired of these boxers who pull them darn near up to the sternum just to limit the opponents target, and yes I am certain they can make protective gear that can fit someone without it having to be pulled up half way to their neck.

Mandate the top of the trunk line be below the belly button, then any punch that hits the trunks is automatically low. Don't allow a fighter to pull up the trunks any higher. Standardize things for the sport and reduce the risk for controversy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
            Hopefully, this will lead to some good: boxing commissions standardizing that trunks must be worn below the navel. I am tired of these boxers who pull them darn near up to the sternum just to limit the opponents target, and yes I am certain they can make protective gear that can fit someone without it having to be pulled up half way to their neck.

Mandate the top of the trunk line be below the belly button, then any punch that hits the trunks is automatically low. Don't allow a fighter to pull up the trunks any higher. Standardize things for the sport and reduce the risk for controversy.
            Let's get the ABC on this asap.

Comment

Sorry Cliff, you're a boxing "writer" and a bias one at that. You couldn't even see Usyk's belly button and the shot clearly landed on the belt line. Where are Usyk's balls? On his hip? That theory doesn't fly. There are way too many Usyk sympathizers hear who can't fathom the fact that Usyk is not invincible and has weaknesses just like every other fighter of which Daniel Dubois, a massive underdog who people on here regularly trash, exploited. Would Usyk have gotten up if Pabon issued a count? It's possible but there's no way to know for sure. Based on how much pain he appeared to be in, if he wasn't acting, I don't see how he could get up in 10 seconds. He was on the canvas apparently writhing in pain for minutes. If you think Usyk definitely would've gotten up had Pabon started counting, does that not discredit any belief that it was a devastating low blow? I think it does. Usyk played it up big time.
              I will trust the majority of boxers who said the punch wasn't low including Tim Bradley, Carl Frampton, Barry Jones, Johnny Nelson, Shawn Porter, Caleb Truax, Sergio Mora, Michael Hunter, Joe Cortez (HOF ref). Now, do they all have a bias against Usyk? Certainly the non-UK residents don't. Usyk always complains about body shots. It's clear that's his achilles heel. Of course Dubois faded and Usyk came back admirably to get the stoppage but that's irrelevant.

Comment

Usyk whooped dat azz. case close move on...

Comment

No one expects the result to be overturned. What this situation showed is Usyk is vulnerable to the belly, which we basically knew....but this shows that Usyk has no problem playing up a shot as if he just got hit in the balls, when he took a navel shot.

Which is fine, I don't blame him. But this also shows the bias of those rooting for him, who know it wasn't a low shot compared to what is called low in most if not all other fights.

People are just desperate for Usyk to beat Fury in January, and this shows weakness in Usyk. I have liked the guy for years, but his schtick has gotten old. Good boxer, annoying to watch.
                  Last edited by Theshotyoudontsee; 08-29-2023, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Part of what people seem to be neglecting is that Usyk never received any kind of count. So he wisely took the time to recover. It happened all the time and that’s why the rule exists. People act like he was knocked out because he stayed down for so long. Don’t you think he would have at least tried to stand up and beat the count if he could? Plus, he closed the show in a one sided fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X