Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Vergil Ortiz: We Wanted This Fight And Were Prepared To Do Whatever It Took To Make It Happen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Vergil Ortiz: We Wanted This Fight And Were Prepared To Do Whatever It Took To Make It Happen

By Jake Donovan - It took two attempts for Vergil Ortiz Jr. to make his way to the ring for a fight versus then-unbeaten Michael McKinson. The five-month delay between planned fight dates turned out to be a blessing, as it raised the stakes for their rescheduled fight last August. The winner was to become the mandatory challenger to the WBA 'Regular' welterweight title.
    [Click Here To Read More]

“We spent money making this mandatory,” Ortiz told BoxingScene.com.

Should've spent that money with the WBO, and maybe you would've fought Crawford before he left TR???

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
      “We spent money making this mandatory,” Ortiz told BoxingScene.com.

Should've spent that money with the WBO, and maybe you would've fought Crawford before he left TR???
      If or even though Ortiz Jr. is no longer a "prospect" in the boxing conventional way Ortiz is surely (not Shirley) a fighter who is being developed and is still early in his fight career. So this bussiness about fighter Crawford when even talked about two years ago was a fight too big for him many talked about it but knew the score. Let the man continue to develop let Spence v Crawford happen there is a lot of time to have the two fight after this weekend. And after Crawford takes to the ring with Spence. Crawford was busy making noise about his "treatment" with Arum and his law suits against Bob Arum and deciding who and with what promoter he was going to align with. Ortiz has a medical condition brought on or heriditery i do not know the cause and effect of that condition. So lets not say that he should of done this with that at another time. This is really how fights develop and draw attention of the fans. It is in the cards this fight you speak of only down the road and contingent on how these two men behave inside and outside the ring. The collision course is set but can be upset at any time leading up to it, for these two to meet in the ring. Too many fighters avoid a challenge in the ring Ortiz is not that type of fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by 57Blues View Post

If or even though Ortiz Jr. is no longer a "prospect" in the boxing conventional way Ortiz is surely (not Shirley) a fighter who is being developed and is still early in his fight career. So this bussiness about fighter Crawford when even talked about two years ago was a fight too big for him many talked about it but knew the score. Let the man continue to develop let Spence v Crawford happen there is a lot of time to have the two fight after this weekend. And after Crawford takes to the ring with Spence. Crawford was busy making noise about his "treatment" with Arum and his law suits against Bob Arum and deciding who and with what promoter he was going to align with. Ortiz has a medical condition brought on or heriditery i do not know the cause and effect of that condition. So lets not say that he should of done this with that at another time. This is really how fights develop and draw attention of the fans. It is in the cards this fight you speak of only down the road and contingent on how these two men behave inside and outside the ring. The collision course is set but can be upset at any time leading up to it, for these two to meet in the ring. Too many fighters avoid a challenge in the ring Ortiz is not that type of fighter.
        I'm just saying, if he wanted it, it was there! He was calling for it, but his people were smart not to do it! I just hope Boots Ennis gets the winner of Ortiz Jr. vs. Stanionis, or Spence vs. Crawford NEXT!

Comment

I'm just saying, if he wanted it, it was there! He was calling for it, but his people were smart not to do it! I just hope Boots Ennis gets the winner of Ortiz Jr. vs. Stanionis, or Spence vs. Crawford NEXT!
          I don't think that fight happens next. I'm hoping boots gets the winner of Thurman/ugas. Spence and Crawford are gonna b tied up for a couple fights and i need to see boots against someone decent to really gauge his potential. Vergil/boots is gonna b a great fight in about a year or so tho, provided he beats stanionis which isn't guaranteed.

Comment

Stanionis, who is a PBC fighter, and promoted by Richard Schaefer, a Haymon/Espinoza ally, didn't really want the Ortiz fight. He wanted a fight on a PBC card, even a stay-busy one. He even filed a petition for his mandatory position for the Spence fight just to signify he didn't want a fight outside of PBC. Unfortunately, not one from Showtime/PBC promoters made any offer to him. Not even Jaron "Boots" Ennis' camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe shmo View Post

I don't think that fight happens next. I'm hoping boots gets the winner of Thurman/ugas. Spence and Crawford are gonna b tied up for a couple fights and i need to see boots against someone decent to really gauge his potential. Vergil/boots is gonna b a great fight in about a year or so tho, provided he beats stanionis which isn't guaranteed.
              Ugas might accept the challenge, but Thurman won't! I hope Ugas tears him apart!

Joe shmo Joe shmo likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Xander View Post
                Stanionis, who is a PBC fighter, and promoted by Richard Schaefer, a Haymon/Espinoza ally, didn't really want the Ortiz fight. He wanted a fight on a PBC card, even a stay-busy one. He even filed a petition for his mandatory position for the Spence fight just to signify he didn't want a fight outside of PBC. Unfortunately, not one from Showtime/PBC promoters made any offer to him. Not even Jaron "Boots" Ennis' camp.
                Jaron Ennis had lots of inhouse fights available at one time to choose from before the Karen fight.
                There was Stanionis, Crowley, Kavaliauskas, Butaev, Cobbs called him out in his face.

Stanionis' name was constantly mentioned by PBC fans at that time. I myself even made a thread about it.

But for some inexplicable reason, the Ennis vs Stanionis INHOUSE fight was never made.
                They'd rather have him milked by a competing promoter like GBP.

Any reason why Bozy Ennis/Cameron Dunkin didn't pursue the fight?​ Ennis wanted the fight, to be fair.
                JoeMan al-Xander likes this.

Comment

Interesting fight for both men, i am wondering what the hell is up with Ortiz's health and his time away from the ring he was rolling is i remember correct lining it fights gradual increase in the challenge dept. too medical to know or for me to take the time to understand his conditiions and causes. But time away from training or time away from the ring hurts or at least stunts the growth of a fighter. Yes him and his team were smart to lay low on anything from Crawford too early when mentioned ...............

Comment

Originally posted by 57Blues View Post

Interesting fight for both men, i am wondering what the hell is up with Ortiz's health and his time away from the ring he was rolling is i remember correct lining it fights gradual increase in the challenge dept. too medical to know or for me to take the time to understand his conditiions and causes. But time away from training or time away from the ring hurts or at least stunts the growth of a fighter. Yes him and his team were smart to lay low on anything from Crawford too early when mentioned ...............
                    I don't know what's going on, but I thought moving to 154 would better for him!

Comment

Working...
                    X