Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Teofimo Lopez Says 'Body Shots' Key to Getting Win Over Josh Taylor; Credits Taylor For Surviving

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Teofimo Lopez Says 'Body Shots' Key to Getting Win Over Josh Taylor; Credits Taylor For Surviving

Teofimo Lopez Jr. credits his focus on the midsection of Josh Taylor as a key reason why he became a two-division titlist. The 25-year-old former unified lightweight champion silenced his critics last Saturday night at The Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City, with a unanimous decision over Scotland's Taylor to become the new owner of the WBO 140-pound belt.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Exactly what I was saying in the fight thread. Lopez obviously hurt Taylor to the body early in that fight and it won the starch out of Taylor’s punches.

Comment

He was definitely hurting him. On the other hand, Taylor said in an interview his legs were “gone”, as if to imply it happened out of nowhere. So much for that whole “no excuses” talk. Lopez’ body shots were definitely the reason.

Comment

Maybe another round; and I'm an advocate for a 13th round for this era, but it won't happen, Lopez would've knocked him down.

What I also found so impressive was how he made Taylor miss, almost like a bit of Mayweather slickness.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
          Maybe another round; and I'm an advocate for a 13th round for this era, but it won't happen, Lopez would've knocked him down.

What I also found so impressive was how he made Taylor miss, almost like a bit of Mayweather slickness.

Nice little win but lets keep it real. Lopez beat Taylor, Taylor, a guy that never looked the same after Prograis, a guy EVERYONE close to 140lbs called out because EVERYONE knew Taylor was done.

Hell, Progrias agreed to sign with Arum just to get Taylor but in 3 fights Bob knew
          Prograis would decimate his 140lb stable. Haney wanted Taylor but Bob already set the table for Teofimo, Haney (a guy with skills, no punch or chin) was still game for Teo.... and what does Teofimo do? Teofimo said no again, for the second time! Instead of facing one single name he called out Teofimo retired.

So yeah, Lopez and Floyd have something in common, it's called retirement and that's all.
          Last edited by factsarenice; 06-16-2023, 11:54 AM.

Comment

not sure what happened to Taylor, he looks different now

Comment

Originally posted by JonDelPrado View Post
              He was definitely hurting him. On the other hand, Taylor said in an interview his legs were “gone”, as if to imply it happened out of nowhere. So much for that whole “no excuses” talk. Lopez’ body shots were definitely the reason.
              Taylor tried to make excuses like Teofimo did when Teo lost to curious George but people like you are too dam smart for that. Amiright or amiright.

Comment

Lopez was the better man that night. Taylor got beat by Caterall and hadn't fought in 16 months. Anyone that know anything about boxing knows that no fighter looks great after that long out of the ring, that isn't belittling Teo, it is just a fact. And Taylor was coming off a loss where he got a gift (undeserved) win.

I like Lopez as a fighter. But this win is a bit of fools gold. And I believe Teo knows it well. He bounces back, looks good and wins it all....then suddenly, he is retiring? Maybe he will come back, but mentally there are issues with the guy obviously. He could have held on to the belt for a few months to see if he could have made big money. His actions lead me to believe that the pressure from his dad, taking care of his family, his divorce situation....he seems mentally broke and I don't blame him for wanting out from under the pressure.

But Teo knows better than we do, he fought a weak and lessened version of Taylor, right place right time thing, and he gets to retire with the lineal title. His heart doesn't seem to be in the game anymore as far as really wanting to challenge really dangerous guys.

Comment

Those body shots definitely took all the steam from Taylor who looked like a broken fighter by round 4. He said less than 12 hrs after the weigh in that he had already rehydrated 16 lbs he was probably 160+ in the ring and he looked terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
                    not sure what happened to Taylor, he looks different now
                    Short answer, Josh Taylor is no longer motivated.

At length, Taylor was never athletic or quick but he was mentally tough, trained hard, technically solid and had a meanness that kept him in the fight. Undisputed, Josh Taylor had more money, less motivation and most importantly, no future goals at 140lbs. Taylor's attempt to simply hang around at 140lbs at anything less than 100% was a mistake and Jack Caterall proved it.

IMO, Josh Taylor made the most out what he had but fighting for your life in every single outing takes a heavy toll and shortens a career .​

Comment

Working...
                    X