Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Josh Taylor on Lopez Fight: My Legs Were Gone By Fourth, Fifth Round; I Strayed From the Game Plan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Josh Taylor on Lopez Fight: My Legs Were Gone By Fourth, Fifth Round; I Strayed From the Game Plan

Josh Taylor says he began to feel a significant decline in his abilities by the fifth round during his fight with Teofimo Lopez. Scotland's Taylor lost his WBO title last Saturday night to former unified lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez at The
    [Click Here To Read More]

Taylor just wasn’t as good as he thought he was. Saw the fight live and once teo figured him out, he was hitting him at will and making him miss easily. 147 won’t be much better for Taylor and will likely get stopped there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jab jab boom View Post
      Taylor just wasn’t as good as he thought he was. Saw the fight live and once teo figured him out, he was hitting him at will and making him miss easily. 147 won’t be much better for Taylor and will likely get stopped there.
      Agreed. Taylor will have a few good paydays at 147, he has achieved a lot with limited abilities, good luck to him.

Comment

Josh had too much pre fight activity in the locker room. 50 minute aerobic work out before the first bell- lack of understanding caused his fatigue

Comment

What took his legs away were those clean solid right hands that Teo was landing. To Taylor's credit and as I expected there was not quit in him and he continued to try to win.
          Rebelrbg Rebelrbg likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis2 View Post
            Josh had too much pre fight activity in the locker room. 50 minute aerobic work out before the first bell- lack of understanding caused his fatigue
            Is it normal to warm up that long?

I don't know what pre fight work out/ warm ups consist of but that seems excessive.

Comment

For me, Taylor looked dead at the weight. He might have had a great camp and cut the weight in the right way, but something clearly changed in him in the last 48hrs before the fight if you check how he looked at the beginning of the week in New York to how he looked at the weigh-in - he was white as a sheet and looked like a skeleton. He looked exactly the same on the ring walk and I could tell by the look on his face that he knew he wasn't there physically. When you know, you know. He was dead at the weight and never got going. Teo fought a great fight too, which made it even more of insurmountable challenge. What's worrying is that Taylor looked exactly the same against Catterall and hasn't been able to rectify that. I think physically it's over for him at 140lbs and I'm not sure he has the physicality to compete at 147lbs against much sturdier men. I'm not sure where he goes from here, but if he retired tomorrow, he will always be a former undisputed champion - and only the sixth person in history to do it at the time I believe - he's had a hell of a career and achieved a lot. He's never had any super fights in a money-making sense, but hopefully he's made enough to never have to worry about money either. I suspect he'll be back though - I just foresee a very tough road at 147lbs. I hope he proves me wrong and I'd love to see him come good again. In the meantime, congratulations to Lopez. I'd love to see him fight Prograis, Haney, or Garcia next.
              Dan Gleessac Dan Gleessac likes this.

Comment

bah his legs were tired because he spent a year and a half out of the ring running from jack catterall, thats all
                shenmue shenmue likes this.

Comment

bah his legs were tired because he spent a year and a half out of the ring running from jack catterall, thats all

Comment

I dunno just seemed like a marked difference in handspeed too which is fine I guess because he could have still levelled that out by being the bigger stronger man. Josh was landing well to the body early and not being greedy.

Josh started well and was aggressive but I can't remember what round it was maybe 4-5 where Lopez had a great round and then his confidence grew exponentially.

To me after about 8 rounds there was sort of aj acceptance that Lopez was having an excellent night at the office hence why Josh probably felt it was prudent to just try and take him out of the fight with his left because he was getting countered over his jab anyway.

I think Lopez is better than Josh tbh.

Then again so was Catterall. A move up in weight cant hurt. Josh has had a great career but those last two fights indicate he is not competing at a level he was previously.

Last edited by Sparked_26; 06-13-2023, 10:15 AM.
                    Monty Fisto Monty Fisto likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X