Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Riakporhe: Maybe Okolie Needs To Move Up, Even The Punch Resistance Looked a Bit Shaky

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Riakporhe: Maybe Okolie Needs To Move Up, Even The Punch Resistance Looked a Bit Shaky

Cruiserweight contender Richard Riakporhe felt there was a disconnect between Lawrence Okolie and new trainer SugarHill Steward. Last Saturday night at Vitality Stadium in Bournemouth, Okolie suffered the first loss of his pro career at the hands of Chris Billam-Smith.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Sugar Hill has done nothing to improve Okolie. Not that I think he's to blame because honestly, I don't know if anyone can change his jab and grab style. His natural inclination is to hold as soon as he's near the inside. Sugar Hill is all of a sudden in high demand since Tyson Fury starting working with him. People seem to think he can do the same things for them but it doesn't always work that way. On top of that, a coach is only as good as a student who is willing to learn and make the adjustments they want them to make to be successful with the methods they are using. Okolie is no Tommy Hearns. He may be tall and lanky but I don't think he has the goods to bring out the kronk way of fighting.

Comment

Sounds like he needs to call Norman Stone (John Ruiz’s old trainer). He got the most out of the limited John Ruiz.

Comment

Okolie has an awful style. And up in the hw he'll lose the advantage of being the guy with the longest arms and legs...

Comment

Moving up would prove disastrous! If this dude hurt him, imagine what the heavies would do? Okolie is a British hype job, nothing more. It is what it is!

Comment

Okolie always looks like he had deer legs removed from a deer and attached to his waist cause when he is hit or even not, his legs are unsteady. Going to heavyweight with that chin of his will only get him so far along.

Comment

The appeal for Okolie to move up, was that he is a Cruiser weight World Champion and undefeated.

I actually think Okolie's should stay within the Cruiser weight division 'Right now'. His loss has actually created more competition, and interesting fights.

This rivalry between these Cruiser weights is creating a theme. If fighters just decide to leave a division after a loss, it hinders the development of competition and rivalries etc.

Comment

He didn't do anything wrong, and there's nothing he can do different to inprove. He's British and they're all bums and that's all to it. He can train twice as hard, eat more vegetables, do more sprints, and he's still gonna get his sh.t rocked

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
                  Sounds like he needs to call Norman Stone (John Ruiz’s old trainer). He got the most out of the limited John Ruiz.
                  Stone gotta be around 80 years old, let the man relax. Would love to have more clips though

Comment

Originally posted by TheIronMike View Post

Stone gotta be around 80 years old, let the man relax. Would love to have more clips though
                    I could see it now… Stone having a heart attack & dropping dead yelling at the ref… Yeah he is old for sure but just thought he would have been the perfect trainer for Okolie..
                    Last edited by joe strong; 06-01-2023, 10:45 AM.
                    TheIronMike TheIronMike likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X