Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Michael Conlan: I Couldn't Seem To Get Going and Paid The Price For It

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Michael Conlan: I Couldn't Seem To Get Going and Paid The Price For It

In 2022, Irish Olympian Michael Conlan seemed to be on the verge of winning the WBA featherweight title, when he was dropped on the eleventh round, and then knocked out cold in the twelfth by Leigh Wood.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Paid the price, my ass. You got knocked the f.ck out, that's all

Comment

Retirement is the lone option for Conlan. His brain has already been scrambled twice in just over a year. Those were Simon Brown-like knockout losses.

Comment

Conlan has a big heart, and did great in the Olympics.

I think since the Wood fight though, the opponents have seen how vulnerable he is to the chin.

Truly, Lopez is unorthodox and awkward, looks very amateurish, yet soengow quite effective more often than not. However, any reasonably skilled boxer would beat Lopez.

You can anticipate, after around or two, that Lopez is throwing those punches from the hips.

I don't know where Conlan goes to from here in boxing. He can still beat some contenders, but for world title level, it'll continue to be tough.

Perhaps a new trainer, I don't know, but big improvement needed on defence.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
          Conlan has a big heart, and did great in the Olympics.

I think since the Wood fight though, the opponents have seen how vulnerable he is to the chin.

Truly, Lopez is unorthodox and awkward, looks very amateurish, yet soengow quite effective more often than not. However, any reasonably skilled boxer would beat Lopez.

You can anticipate, after around or two, that Lopez is throwing those punches from the hips.

I don't know where Conlan goes to from here in boxing. He can still beat some contenders, but for world title level, it'll continue to be tough.

Perhaps a new trainer, I don't know, but big improvement needed on defence.
          Conlan fights with a wide stance and its stupid because he doesn't need to, he has quick feet when he uses them correctly.

But he has this wide stance which limits his speed and reaction to get out of range, so when a fighter comes at him from unorthodox angles like Lopez did, or like Wood backing him onto the ropes, he's left himself vulnerable to land a huge shot on becomes his stance leaves him with nowhere to go fast.

Who is his trainer? Its Adam Booth. His two biggest fighters have been Haye and Groves, both fought with that wide stance but for them it was OK because they were sniper fighters bringing you on to a shot because they had very heavy right hands. Conlan hasn't got that kind of power and that stance doesn't serve the rest of his skill set.

I like Booth but If i was Conlan, id be heading to a trainer who would sort his feet out and just make him a pure boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
            Retirement is the lone option for Conlan. His brain has already been scrambled twice in just over a year. Those were Simon Brown-like knockout losses.
            I dont think he has many options. He seems to have some interests going on outside the ring, so he is probably alright financially at a pretty young age.

When he fell out of the ring against Wood I thought he was really hurt.

When you arent much of a puncher, and you arent a speed demon, it isnt easy.

Hopefully he makes a good decision. Not everyone wins an Olympic medal and gets to be in the FOY.

Comment

Im not a fan of Conlan for reasons not really related to boxing.

But in fairness, Lopez looked really jacked. I cant be the only one who noticed.

He looked like a welterweight with a Tommy Morrison type body.

Comment

Originally posted by BritJimbo View Post

But in fairness, Lopez looked really jacked. I cant be the only one who noticed.

Really? I thought that Conlan looked quite bigger at the weigh in, he has such a wide frame for a featherweight that stands at 5'8.

Comment

When he fell out of the ring against Wood I thought he was really hurt.
                  Both then and last night he was already out before even hitting the canvas (make it "the floor", in the Wood fight...). Dangerous knockouts, if they repeat.

Incidentally, I myself noticed Lopez's bulk as you did. But by now I'm so convinced about the diffused use of PEDs that I just tend to ignore...
                  Last edited by Tatabanya; 05-28-2023, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I noticed that too. And you see is back? Acne bad plus his gloves looked weird at times??? I hope they took those gloves and tested him.

Comment

Working...
                    X