Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Shakur Stevenson: Ref Shoulda Let It Keep Going; I Wanted To Put Yoshino Down, Finish Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Shakur Stevenson: Ref Shoulda Let It Keep Going; I Wanted To Put Yoshino Down, Finish Him

NEWARK, New Jersey - Shakur Stevenson wanted to emphatically finish Shuichiro Yoshino on Saturday night. Stevenson expressed some disappointment following his sixth-round, technical-knockout win because referee Allen Huggins halted their 12-round lightweight bout when Yoshino was still standing at Prudential Center. A faster, sharper Stevenson (20-0, 10 KOs) landed a right-left combination just before Huggins decided Yoshino had taken enough punishment during a fight in which Newark's Stevenson sent him to the canvas once apiece in the second and fourth rounds.
    [Click Here To Read More]

What a pos. Obviously people know you can punch which is why they stopped the fight. It's to prevent further damage to the fighter, not to stop the action.

Comment

Something about shakur I really really dislike. He’s got some AB to him. No denying his talent but I just don’t like him. I’m usually against early stoppages but this was a good stop. Yoshino hadn’t won a round and their was no “Mendoza-fundora” moment for him coming he was taking a systematic beatdown the kind that are dangerous. Any fighter should appreciate a ref doing that. Great job by Higgins.

Comment

Ref did his job. Harrison could have used that same treatment with ref stepping in as he was getting bashed.

Comment

It was a horrible stoppage but Shakur was also thoroughly dominating

Comment

I felt that Shakur was in complete control of the pace and was piecing Yoshino up with excellent timing and precision on his counters, and catching him jumping in with the straight left. But with that said, the ref should have let the fight go on to actually give Yoshino a chance to respond with everything he traveled all that way from Japan for.

He wasn't beaten and battered, as his face clearly showed afterwards, he was just getting timed and put on his ass due to the lunging in, and getting knocked off balance before he could properly set his feet. I would have liked to see him actually hurt, not unconscious, so that both fighters could have felt like their grind through training camp exemplified the effort given by the end of the fight. At least if a fighter takes the loss, he's given the opportunity to somewhat empty his tank.
            juanpablo juanpablo likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by bullydean View Post
              What a pos. Obviously people know you can punch which is why they stopped the fight. It's to prevent further damage to the fighter, not to stop the action.
              Before the fight Yoshino says
              “If Stevenson is looking past me, I’m gonna knock him out”

“I feel my power is a lot more than Shakur, and I have the ability to knock him out with my punches.”
              And lastly, flat out questioned Shakur’s power, especially in a new division

So yeah, what a pos for wanting to get a convincing ko in a combat sport instead of a refs stoppage that the opponent and his corner disputed.

Comment

Fighters like Shakur, Mayweather, Pernell & others are hard to beat because they never get hit hard. Killers like Chavez, Duran, Arguello & others would have trouble with Shakur because he isn't there to hit. He's a much better version of Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Jab jab boom View Post
                  Before the fight Yoshino says
                  “If Stevenson is looking past me, I’m gonna knock him out”

“I feel my power is a lot more than Shakur, and I have the ability to knock him out with my punches.”
                  And lastly, flat out questioned Shakur’s power, especially in a new division

So yeah, what a pos for wanting to get a convincing ko in a combat sport instead of a refs stoppage that the opponent and his corner disputed.

It was a convincing KO. Get off his nuts man.

Comment

Originally posted by bullydean View Post
                    Dude can't win with you lot, can he? Y'all complain that it was a poor stoppage, but when he said he wanted the fight to continue he's now a "pos?"

Comment

Working...
                    X