Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Is The 2023 Version Of Anthony Joshua Diminished Or Just Different?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Is The 2023 Version Of Anthony Joshua Diminished Or Just Different?

By Corey Erdman - Anthony Joshua is not the same fighter that he was in 2017. This is an uncontroversial statement, something that everyone from Joshua's loudest detractors and Joshua himself can absolutely agree upon. The version of Joshua that defeated Wladimir Klitschko, the one who relied on his athleticism and power more than rigid schooling, the one willing
    [Click Here To Read More]

AJ would not be the first boxer to be written off, and then to only give some of their most memorable performances.

Comment

You could make a case for this version being better. Joshua the destroyer was a stoppage waiting to happen with the way he walked through fire despite his length advantages. Then it happened and he got stopped.

This version of Joshua can stay in fights. And he can go into his late 30s in a way that brawlers usually don't.

Lewis and Klitschko both got stopped in upsets. Both got less adventurous as they got older. Both went the distance plenty of times.

I'm playing devil's advocate because I see a diminished fighter as much as anyone, but I know enough to know that there's plenty of running left in this division. He'd be crazy to go back to his old style.

Comment

Casuals are writting him off too early.

He is still more than good enough to beat guys like Whyte, Hrgovic, Dubois. I would say Joyce is 50 -50 fight.

The question remains how will he look like when somebody starts to throw on him big punches again. because Franklin was clearly not that kind of fighter, that was why he was chosen.

If AJ`s gas tank will be ok and if he will not panic again when taking punches, than he can go into late 30s with that style, using his advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
          You could make a case for this version being better. Joshua the destroyer was a stoppage waiting to happen with the way he walked through fire despite his length advantages. Then it happened and he got stopped.

This version of Joshua can stay in fights. And he can go into his late 30s in a way that brawlers usually don't.

Lewis and Klitschko both got stopped in upsets. Both got less adventurous as they got older. Both went the distance plenty of times.

I'm playing devil's advocate because I see a diminished fighter as much as anyone, but I know enough to know that there's plenty of running left in this division. He'd be crazy to go back to his old style.
          I get this to an extent depending on the opponents. Shorter guys with fast hands who aren't generational talents like Usyk.

He uses his length and strength and good jab doesn't swap punches thus massively reducing the chances off getting hurt, dropped or stopped.

I am not sure it would work with anyone with equal size or even just length unless he is significantly quicker but even then. I'd back Joyce to get his jab going against AJ.

I dunno he's bang out of form. It's hard to look past that.

I feel like he should retire. Seems like a great opportunity to get out of the game at 33 with all his faculties and a £100 mill in the bank.

I just can't see how he reaches the top.
          Last edited by Sparked_26; 04-03-2023, 01:50 AM.
          Corelone Corelone tokon tokon like this.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post

He is still more than good enough to beat guys like Whyte, Hrgovic, Dubois. I would say Joyce is 50 -50 fight.

The question remains how will he look like when somebody starts to throw on him big punches again. because Franklin was clearly not that kind of fighter, that was why he was chosen.

If AJ`s gas tank will be ok and if he will not panic again when taking punches, than he can go into late 30s with that style, using his advantages.
            Remember Franklin is a part timer ranked 34.
            Hrgovic & Dubois both have a shot against the uninterested Aj we saw at the weekend. Most say Joyce beats Aj now & Dubois was ahead on all the card's against Joyce, but the eye happened. Fine lines.
            thack thack likes this.

Comment

Everyone has to stop with this destroyer Aj narrative.
              Name 1 elite prime heavyweight Ajs destroyed? You can't because he's never beaten one.
              Don't include the grandads list of Pov, Tak, Klit & Pul as they were all 38-41 & shot, Klitschko had Aj but father time won again as Klitschko was spent.
              So who's he destroyed? Martin xD Brazeale... who Wilder actually destroyed & Aj had to club for 8 rds. Parker? nope, Ruiz? we all know what happened there, Usyk.... Franklin nope. Whyte ranked 24 on the way up again not elite.

Aj destroyed cans on the way up but was never a 1 punch ko artist, they stopped falling over once he boxed top fighter's of his own generation. He's 33 slower, heavier, back in the weight's room & throws punches like it. The worst thing, he looked uninterested in there.

But hey, remember Fury's come back after he ate & snorted a spence in weight & lost it again. It's a funny old game.

Comment

s
                Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post

It's actually the 'causals' who are not seeing what's really happening here .
                Joshua got a handpicked opponent who only had Dillian Whyte on his record , who fought and lost to Whyte who was coming off a brutal KO loss to Fury having never won a round. Joshua was supposed to look spectacular against the very ordinary low ranked Franklin , who until he was handpicked for Whytes comeback was working full time in a factory .
                This nonsense with Joshua , who has never beaten anyone bar , a forty one year old Klitsckho and a novice Whyte who's never looked like wining a world title has got to stop. Joshua has never been that good and looked beyond repair on Saturday. Ruiz ruined what little spark Joshua had , he's a great kid but far from a great fighter.It's only the 'causals' who aren't sick and tired of hearing 'he's still a work in progress' ...wake up!
                This is worst than the Bruno journey!
                _Rexy_ _Rexy_ tokon tokon like this.

Comment

The old version of Josh was climbing off of canvas 4 times in a fight? Dontbsee how that's better than this version!
                  Rebelrbg Rebelrbg likes this.

Comment

AJ is clearly diminished....is it physical or psychological is the question.

He has none of the killer instinct he showed in his career through the great, great fight with Wlad, his duel with Whyte when they were contenders, his KO ability against various opponents or even the determination he showed in the Ruiz rematch and the first Usyk fight.

It's almost as if Usyk stole his soul in the rematch, like Ali did to Foreman all those decades ago.
                    tokon tokon likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X