Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn Says Joshua, Training Team Chose Franklin Because They Wanted to Face Orthodox Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hearn Says Joshua, Training Team Chose Franklin Because They Wanted to Face Orthodox Fighter

Anthony Joshua and his team did not see the purpose of taking on a southpaw for Joshua's comeback fight. That line of thinking was apparently the biggest determinator in what led Joshua to select American heavyweight Jermaine Franklin for his next fight; Franklin boxes out of the conventional stance.
    [Click Here To Read More]

If only there were some other orthodox fighters out there.

Oh wait, the overwhelming majority of heavyweights are orthodox. It would, in fact, be much harder to find a southpaw or switch hitter.

Comment

Honestly I love this fight.

He could have done something obvious like rematch Whyte.

Franklin was no one and pretty much out of the sport a year ago. This will set him up for life. Pretty cool.
      Slowhand Slowhand likes this.

Comment

If Fury is the endgame then he better fight Wallin after Franklin because Fury likes to switch it up against stiff fighters. Fury has outclassed pressure fighters in his southpaw stance so Fury ain't the common orthodox fighter. Wallin would be a good test to see if the new training is effective.

Based off of this I'm assuming Wilder and Andy Jr. are AJ's next fights after Franklin. It definitely doesn't look like there will be a Usyk vs AJ 3.

Comment

So they're obsessing over Usyk being a southpaw as the excuse looking outside instead of in as usual.
          Does Garcia only train fighter's for southpaws? Rediculous statement, I think he was pushed beyond his limits disagreeing with Garcia in camp, he doesn't want a coach but another yes man to add to his already famous 26 man entourage.

The fight, I'm happy for Frank, this will set him up nicely & it's the level of fight Aj needs, ppv definitely not but money first Aj & Eddie you know it will be.

Comment

Comments like this proves that promoters will say anything. Southpaws are rare at HW. Michael Moorer was the first southpaw HW to win a title in 1994 in a sport that has over 100 years of history.
            Speng Speng likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
              Comments like this proves that promoters will say anything. Southpaws are rare at HW. Michael Moorer was the first southpaw HW to win a title in 1994 in a sport that has over 100 years of history.
              Wallin and Demsey are southpaws . Those are the other 2 they were deciding on .

Comment

I forgot Joshua is fighting Wilder......

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post

Wallin and Demsey are southpaws . Those are the other 2 they were deciding on .
                  They said they wanted a conventional fighter, that is almost all there is. If they wanted another crack at Usyk then fighting another lefty should be scheduled but they are looking for a semi credible opponent that appears he can beat.

Comment

I think they've made the right choice as Dempsey is an unknown with no names on his record, with knowledge of sparring Joshua in camp and it would be a nightmare should the unexpected happen or struggle with him. Wallin just looks like trouble for him. With Franklin , as Hearn says, he is known for giving Whyte trouble and I suppose the get out clause is just that , should Joshua struggle in any way.... he shouldn't and I don't expect he will. Then on to .....

Comment

Working...
                    X