No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Yankiel Rivera Inks Promotional Pact With Eddie Hearn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Yankiel Rivera Inks Promotional Pact With Eddie Hearn

Puerto Rican amateur star Yankiel Rivera has signed a multi-fight deal with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom - and will fight for the third time in the paid ranks on the undercard of the undisputed double-header with Amanda Serrano vs. Erika Cruz and Alycia Baumgardner vs. Elhem Mekhaled on Saturday February 4 at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York, live worldwide on DAZN.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I find it so curious which ethnic groups of boxing fans in the usa Hearn acknowledges and which ones he doesn’t. He mentioned the “Mexico vs Puerto Rico” rivalry with dulorme and Vargas, has mentioned Mexican fans regarding Canelo and others, mentioned Puerto Rican fans in NY in this article yet has never mentioned African-Americans, foundational African Americans, black Americans etc on any term one wants to use to designate that group. Even while calling Tank Davis a star, courting him, after acknowledging him selling out cards in DC, Atlanta, Baltimore etc cities with heavy FBA populations. Same with Jermall Charlo whom he attempted to lure (oddly by insulting him) but ho has clearly done the same selling out cards in Houston, another city with a large FBA population, mayor, police chief etc etc. I wonder why he doesn’t mention them, particularly since they were the group he really wanted to get when he came to the usa. I’m sure this post I’ll make a few folks around here uncomfortable due to mentioning that group which has always had a large presence in boxing but let’s just think about this for a minute..why not acknowledge them while mentioning others directly?
    Rebelrbg Rebelrbg likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
      I find it so curious which ethnic groups of boxing fans in the usa Hearn acknowledges and which ones he doesn’t. He mentioned the “Mexico vs Puerto Rico” rivalry with dulorme and Vargas, has mentioned Mexican fans regarding Canelo and others, mentioned Puerto Rican fans in NY in this article yet has never mentioned African-Americans, foundational African Americans, black Americans etc on any term one wants to use to designate that group. Even while calling Tank Davis a star, courting him, after acknowledging him selling out cards in DC, Atlanta, Baltimore etc cities with heavy FBA populations. Same with Jermall Charlo whom he attempted to lure (oddly by insulting him) but ho has clearly done the same selling out cards in Houston, another city with a large FBA population, mayor, police chief etc etc. I wonder why he doesn’t mention them, particularly since they were the group he really wanted to get when he came to the usa. I’m sure this post I’ll make a few folks around here uncomfortable due to mentioning that group which has always had a large presence in boxing but let’s just think about this for a minute..why not acknowledge them while mentioning others directly?
      Well stated sir

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
        Have you ever heard a promoter mention the African American fanbase in that type of way before? Hearn, Warren, Arum, Shalom, Oscar, Dibella? I'm not from America but I take the saying "African American" as meaning black people essentially. I don't think any one would say that. However I have heard every promoter mention fans by location and heritage; Mexican fans, British fans, Polish fans, Irish fans, Albanian fans, Puerto Rican fans, Jamaican fans, etc. No one is going to come out and say directly "black" or "white" fans as it simply sounds racist. Fans are referred to by location.

Bear in mind that that I'm a black guy from the UK, so I could have the terminology mixed up, but I think that African American just refers to skin colour for the most part. I didn't hear or see Espinoza or Ellerbe ever say the arena was full of African American fight fans for the last few sold out Tank fights, or any of Floyd fights. I have heard all parties mention the same for Mexican fans though.

Comment

It looks like the forces that be are fast tracking Yankiel Rivera, to a title fight in the near future.
          I wouldn't be surprised if by the latter part of 2024, he's already challenging for one of the world titles in his division.

Comment

Originally posted by adotd View Post

Have you ever heard a promoter mention the African American fanbase in that type of way before? Hearn, Warren, Arum, Shalom, Oscar, Dibella? I'm not from America but I take the saying "African American" as meaning black people essentially. I don't think any one would say that. However I have heard every promoter mention fans by location and heritage; Mexican fans, British fans, Polish fans, Irish fans, Albanian fans, Puerto Rican fans, Jamaican fans, etc. No one is going to come out and say directly "black" or "white" fans as it simply sounds racist. Fans are referred to by location.

Bear in mind that that I'm a black guy from the UK, so I could have the terminology mixed up, but I think that African American just refers to skin colour for the most part. I didn't hear or see Espinoza or Ellerbe ever say the arena was full of African American fight fans for the last few sold out Tank fights, or any of Floyd fights. I have heard all parties mention the same for Mexican fans though.
            yes, floyd Mayweather and often. I will also add to that you should look beyond simply mentioning race or the term “black” in itself. You are a black Briton for instance, and within black Britain there are carribbeans (which can be broken down further) there are Africans (Nigerians Ugandans etc etc). With Foundational Black Americans, they are a separate ethnic group tracing their roots to the plantation era and have been in the usa literally as long as the British were going back to the 1600s. They are their own culture with their own foods, dialect, songs, collective history etc etc. you make a common mistake of looking at them only racially while not recognising specifically that they have a 400+!year old culture in the usa that separates them from anyone else in the world. Much like a Russian and an Irishman are both white, and that’s about where the similarities end. Comparatively those groups couldn’t be more different. And this isn’t revolutionary thinking. But unfortunately FBAs and really all black peoples are grouped together as collectively “black” without considering their ethnicities, origins, cultures, or nationalities. I broke myself of that learned habit very early in life. Makes it so I can appreciate various peoples cultures and histories
            Last edited by Oldskoolg; 01-27-2023, 10:56 AM.
            Rebelrbg Rebelrbg likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelrbg View Post

Well stated sir
              I knew it wasn’t just me. What’s he scared of?

Comment

Working...
              X