Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: DAZN Exec Hopes to Make Crossover Boxing a 'Powerful' Contribution to Their Business

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: DAZN Exec Hopes to Make Crossover Boxing a 'Powerful' Contribution to Their Business

Crossover boxing is here to stay, at least for one prominent player. Earlier this week, DAZN, the sports streaming platform, announced a five-year deal with Misfits Boxing, the promotional company headed by prominent social media figure KSI, who was one of the first YouTubers to try his hand at professional fisticuffs.
    [Click Here To Read More]

So in other words they’ve failed at real boxing and will now resort to wwe type clown shows.

Comment

I disagree with skipper that it was a miscalculation for dazn to come to the USA. I don’t see that at all. More the manner of HOW they came to the usa. They should have pushed the app to definitely replace the PPV model BUT they should have also sought a network option and partner. Money talks. I’m sure they could have done it much the same way Haymon was able to have deals with showtime and FOX. The Tuesday/Friday night fights model worked for decades. The ABC Wide World of Sports boxing model worked. Boxing on the networks coupled with an app version would be far more beneficial than what any of the promotional companies are doing at the moment. ESPN is trying its best to do it but the star power in top rank just isn’t there at the moment. Seems to be the closest to what would be most beneficial to boxing fans though. It goes without saying that certain individuals at dazn usa should have been FAR more diplomatic upon arrival and sought to bind friendships and partnerships rather than the winds. As Hosea said, “for they sow the wind, they shall reap the whirlwind.”

Comment

The word desperation comes to mind.

Comment

They be out of Boxing in less than 5 years

Comment

Dazn should have tried to buy out top rank or pbc. They did this the wrong way when they entered the US. At the end of the day boxing ratings suck today which is going up impact all boxing fans and boxers very soon. All boxers are overpaid and networks are going to have to cut thier purses per the low ratings.
            Oldskoolg Oldskoolg likes this.

Comment

They’ve lost $5 billion dollars!…

They could have bought out the IBF, WBA, WBC, and WBO, created a single sanctioning body and bought out basically all the boxing promotors and owned the sport of boxing with that money.
              They could then probably turn boxing into a way bigger money spinner by actually having one champion in each category and putting together the fights people want to see. Boxing could be one of the biggest sports in the world if it wasn’t so fragmented and poorly managed between competing governing bodies and promotors. You could buy out the industry relatively cheap and build it up to be much bigger, if you made a few intelligent decisions.

I think I’d like less weight categories too tbh
              The talent is spread out across too many categories, you’re often lucky to find 3 elite fighters in a single weight class. Condensing the fighters into less categories would pack them full of more talent and make the sport more fan friendly.
              Introducing an extra weigh in immediately before the fight (like it used to be) would prevent these dangerous weight cuts and allow fighters to fight more regularly too, which would also mean more quality fights each year and generate more revenue.

https://growjo.com/company/Top_Rank_Boxing

Comment

Hey they need try to recover part or at least some of those huge loses one way or another, cant really blame their stance. PBC and TR are difficult to compete with for american market share.

Comment

Of course TR and PBC were difficult to work with because DAZN was trying to come in and take some if their share of the market. Competitors genuinely frown upon that!
                  Oldskoolg Oldskoolg likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
                    I disagree with skipper that it was a miscalculation for dazn to come to the USA. I don’t see that at all. More the manner of HOW they came to the usa. They should have pushed the app to definitely replace the PPV model BUT they should have also sought a network option and partner. Money talks. I’m sure they could have done it much the same way Haymon was able to have deals with showtime and FOX. The Tuesday/Friday night fights model worked for decades. The ABC Wide World of Sports boxing model worked. Boxing on the networks coupled with an app version would be far more beneficial than what any of the promotional companies are doing at the moment. ESPN is trying its best to do it but the star power in top rank just isn’t there at the moment. Seems to be the closest to what would be most beneficial to boxing fans though. It goes without saying that certain individuals at dazn usa should have been FAR more diplomatic upon arrival and sought to bind friendships and partnerships rather than the winds. As Hosea said, “for they sow the wind, they shall reap the whirlwind.”
                    Do you remember CBS Saturday afternoon fights with Gil Clancy?

Comment

Working...
                    X