Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ernesto Mercado vs. Hank Lundy on February 4 at LumColor Center in Ontario

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ernesto Mercado vs. Hank Lundy on February 4 at LumColor Center in Ontario

Undefeated NABA super lightweight champion, Ernesto "Tito" Mercado (8-0, 8 KOs), is ready to start his 2023 off with a bang as he returns to the ring February 4. Mercado faces his toughest opponent to date, "Hammerin" Hank Lundy (31-12-1, 14 KOs) of Philadelphia, PA, in a scheduled 10-round co-main event at the LumColor Center in Ontario, CA. RED Boxing Promotions is the promoter.
    [Click Here To Read More]

So Hank Lundy and boxing officials and the authorities just will ignore the possibility of CTE, with fighters like Lundy whom don’t know when it’s time to quit there should be some figureheads who will make that decision on behalf of the fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by hitmanjosh View Post
      So Hank Lundy and boxing officials and the authorities just will ignore the possibility of CTE, with fighters like Lundy whom don’t know when it’s time to quit there should be some figureheads who will make that decision on behalf of the fighters.
      Yeah, Hank's gotta make money but I feel really bad for the guy. They are just using up the man when they should care about his life. Who are his handlers? Boxing needs some retirement fund or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Wacked_Out View Post

Yeah, Hank's gotta make money but I feel really bad for the guy. They are just using up the man when they should care about his life. Who are his handlers? Boxing needs some retirement fund or something.
        The problem is that boxing is not like organizations such as the NFL, NBA, etc. Boxers are independent contractors and as such are responsible for their own retirement funding.

Comment

Hank just fought locally in Philly in a rec center LOLLLL

Hammerin tryna d!3 in the ring!!

Comment

Originally posted by hitmanjosh View Post
            Correct - Lundy has taken a lot of career punishment. Same as Chisora. Same as Gamboa and these are all fighters with winning records - what about the losing percentage fighters? One of the reasons some of these fighters carry on for too long is they have bad financial habits , they spend everything they earn so they need to fight to live. An education programme being available would help and also I'd like to see state commissions and national commissions force promoters to put aside a percentage into a retirement fund. I'm not sure what medicals they all need to pass in order to fight but brain scans before fights get announced or something similar would surely help.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingfanatic75 View Post

The problem is that boxing is not like organizations such as the NFL, NBA, etc. Boxers are independent contractors and as such are responsible for their own retirement funding.
              True, but reform can be enforced by State governments forcing state athletic commissions to take steps that protect the fighter's health and provide for them in retirement. You wanna fight in Las Vegas ? ... then 5% of your purse goes into your retirement fund.

Comment

Originally posted by GBP4LIFE View Post
                Hank just fought locally in Philly in a rec center LOLLLL

Hammerin tryna d!3 in the ring!!
                It's sad - he was still a very skilled fighter just a few years ago when he was 33/34 years old

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post

True, but reform can be enforced by State governments forcing state athletic commissions to take steps that protect the fighter's health and provide for them in retirement. You wanna fight in Las Vegas ? ... then 5% of your purse goes into your retirement fund.
                  Teddy Atlas screamed for years for Congressional oversight of Boxing due to lack of a central controlling entity to scrub the criminals and corruption out. For whatever reason they want nothing to do with it. One aspect would be contributing to a fighter retirement fund.

Comment

...I guess damn I remember Lundy vs Molina like it was yesterday on Friday Night Fights! In fact I thought about Molina v Lunday while watching Speedy Ellis vs Villa, played out very similar ironically enough

Comment

Working...
                    X